Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tempe Eggfest report & (heavy) pics

reelgem
reelgem Posts: 4,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First I want to thank Mike, Shelton and JT of BBQ Island, you put on a first class eggfest. The meet n' greet on Friday was faboulous. I couldn't believe the amount of delicious food that was served. The fest on Saturday was even better. There were 20 cooks and 150-200 tasters. Dr. BBQ made an appearance and he did a rib class that ended up being standing room only. The people that I talked to were amazed at the amount of food that was served and that they were only charged a mere $10 for admission. There was no admission fee for cooks and no fees for the meet n' greet, which is pretty unheard of for an eggfest. This was BBQ Island's first eggfest but they are by no means new to doing large events. This past Dec. they held a KCBS competition with 4000 attendees. The Iron Egg Chef competition was fun to watch. I got to see Desert Filly with her sous chef AZRP and Boogie in action. She ended up getting Reserve Champion and then went on to win the People Choice award quite handedly. Way to go Kim, you can add these to your ever growing list of lifetime egging acheivements.
Del and I enjoyed meeting and spending time with the AZRP/Desert Filly clan. What a lovely family. Their granddaughter Riley who's is 7 is adorable and a great cook. She made her famous s'mores on a mini, which were a hit.
Thanks to AZRP and Desert Filly who brought tables, tablecloths and set up everything for us. It was greatly appreciated. Thanks too for the bag of beautiful lemons.
Here's some pics, I don't know the names of all the people but I'll list the ones I do know.

GB Packers fan, Boogie, AZRP and ?, getting ready to fire up the egg.
012-9.jpg

Kenna, Riley & Desert Filly
015-8.jpg

Troutman & reelgem (I found out he's my neighbor in Scottsdale), small world.
017-6.jpg

My husband and I prepping salmon, we cooked 20lbs of it and we used Dizzy Pig's Maple Salmon recipe. It was a huge it. Thanks Chris for a great recipe!
018-3.jpg

Ticket boxes for People's Choice award. AZRP and Desert Filly's is on top and mine is on the bottom. :(
022-3.jpg

I found another GB Packer Fan in the crowd. He was a riot!
025-2.jpg

Check-in desk
029-3.jpg

BBQ Islands is hands down the most beautiful BBQ store I've ever been in. They're expanding to 6000 sq. ft and even adding an outdoor deck. Can't wait to see it when it's done.
030-3.jpg

AZRP/Desert Filly's son-in-law, granddaughter, and daughter. This is the baby that was born during last years OKC Eggfest. What a cutie!!
031-2.jpg

033-3.jpg

Check out this trophy..almost 6ft tall! She got 1st place in an AZ BBQ competition. Her and her husband made some great food yesterday.
035-2.jpg

Love the shirt on the girl on the right.
043-2.jpg

044-2.jpg

Desert Filly's Iron Egg Chef entry.
052-1.jpg

The judges, Dirk (center) is the BGE distributor and Mike (far right) is owner of BBQ Islands.
054-3.jpg

GB Packers Fan & AZRP
057-1.jpg

The Iron Egg Chef Grand Champion and the Reserve Champion, Desert Filly.
058-2.jpg

Desert Filly getting her People's Choice award from Mike (owner of BBQ Island). She recieved a $150 store credit in addition to the trophy. Way to go Kim!!
060.jpg

reelgem, GB Pacekers Fan, Desert Filly & AZRP. Randy and Kim are the greatest. We love 'em to death.

BBQ Island Showroom. They carry Ono lump which we bought a bag of. Can't wait to try it out.
071.jpg

I loved the tiki bar, they have 2 tv's and a beer tapper. The beer was flowing during the entire fest.
073.jpg

074.jpg

Comments