Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have a large - do I need a medium?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Bought a large egg last summer and love it. I can get a great buy on a new medium from an individual in my town. I don't think I need it, but eggs are so cool I want it. Am I crazy - help me get off the fence.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Barney,
    The large and the medium do about the same things, so having both is a little overkill. Now a large and a small is a good combo.[p]Tim

• Barney,
    Don't listen to Tim, buy the good price medium now, next month the small, then for giggles get a XL whn they are available. I don't know why Tim would say such a thing, go to his website and you will understand why I say this.

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Barney, I have a large ceramic also and am looking for something smaller. Friends just got a medium and I've been looking at it, seems like it is not that much smaller than my large. I'll be in the market for a small, so's I can tote it around a lot easier and it would be good for a couple breasts, steaks or chops.[p]Ok, that said, IF it really is a good deal for you...get it! No such thing as too many ceramics ;). You can do a lo n slo on one and grill on the other. Two lo n slo's would work, too. Guess it's up to you, Barney, sorry i couldn't be of any more help.

• MerlinEgger
    MerlinEgger Posts: 58
    Barney,
    Just added a small to my large. It is a nice addition. But if the medium was just the right price, I'd probably be adding to my collection.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Barney,
    I bought my large first, but knew immediately I wanted a small as well so I designed my table accordingly. At my next b/d my wife surprised me with the small. One year later she surprised me with a medium. I use my large 40%, my small 60%. In 2 years the medium has been used maybe 6 times at most...Did I help you? probably not, but trust me when I tell you the small can be a nuker for steaks that you can't really achieve the same way with the bigger sizes.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tim M,[p]Actually I have a related question.. having a large, what specifically can a small do that I would need one.. other than the fact that it is more mobile?[p]Thanks, [p]Brian

• Nardi,[p]You can cook different foods at different temperatures at the same time
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nardi,[p]I don't think anyone is saying to get a second cooker because it will do anything differently. It's more of having a second choice if you are doing two small steaks or a couple burgers and not having to fire up a pound of lump to cook them. The small doesn't use nearly as much lump as the large. Plus like Chillin said, you can do two meals at once, but in the 5 years that I have had my small, I have never done that - but you sure can if you need to.[p]Tim
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Barney,
    First I bought a large.
    About a year later I bought a small. I usually only cook for 2 and now use the small about 80% of the time. The small is very stingy on lump. It almost seems like it doesn't even us any.
    BD

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Tim M,
    Well, last night I had a vidalia onion pie on the small and steaks and chops on the large. Or sometimes, I'll do baked potatoes on the small and the steaks on the large. It usually ends up being veggies on one and meat on the other. And of course, once in a great while, it's a capacity thing. But regardless, it is nice to know you have the flexibility to cook at different temps when you need to.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    The Naked Whiz,
    I cook on several eggs at one time quiet often Doug...More so at Christmas and Thanksgiving.
    Larry

[ul][li]Three Eggs Cooking[/ul]