Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised A Grill and Indirect method?

Options
Roundman
Roundman Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What are some of the ways to raise the BGE grill which some of the recipes require? [p]What is the best method for indirect grilling? [p]What type of equipment do I need for the above methods of cooking?[p]Thank you all in advance Roundman

Comments

• tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Options
    Roundman, there are several methods of raising a grill. BGE sells a "grill extender"(a smaller diameter grill with flop down legs).Or you can purchase a second "replacement porcelin BGE grill" which has the same diameter and gives a little more cooking space. You then can also get extra grills at Home Depot, Lowes etc.Make sure to measure them before you buy one. You then need to elevate the grill by using "Kiln posts"from a ceramic supply outlet (the best IMO), or cut firebricks, or s.s.steel bolts...all work as as legs. As to "indirect grilling," the best device is the BGE platesetter, but they do not have one for the small egg.You can use a pan or pizza stone on a lower grill as an alternative to block the lower heat.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Roundman,
    My FAQ has some photos of using bolts, washers and nuts to make a raised grill. My favorite for indirect cooking is the plate setter sold by BGE (photos also in my FAQ). The plate setter is also invaluable for making pizza![p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • AZ Geoff
    AZ Geoff Posts: 66
    Options
    Roundman,
    I went to Home depot and got a grid for about 10 dollars or so. I use 2 bricks and the $10 grid with one of those disposable foil pans - works for me.[p]AZ Geoff