Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cookin' Ribs Sunday-Serving 'em Monday-Help!

Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Strange how it works around here in Albuquerque, but my oldest daughter graduates from HS with party at the house afterwards, on Monday, and I've got to cook tomorrow on Sunday.....10 lbs. of GFW's Hot Wings, and a ton of Baby Backs. I think the wings will re-heat just fine, but any thoughts on the optimum preparation for the baby-backs?? Part of me says to cook them to completion and nuke them or put them in a low oven to serve the next day
but then I think that maybe I should cook them 2/3 of the way and finish in the oven, if that doesn't dry them out excessively. Thinking the former is preferable to the later. What say you, Eggheads?? Thanks in advance!
Big Murth in Nuevo Mexico
p.s. Using Nature Boy's (Dizzy Pig) rub on those rascals.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Big Murth:[p]When cooking a day in advance I always reheat fully cooked items with a steam method in the oven.[p]Place a large glass pan with an inch of water in it on the bottom rack directly over the element of the oven and set the oven to 500º Let the oven pre-heat to 500º. The item to be heated - ribs, pulled pork, wings, etc. - are placed in a second glass pan and covered with foil. Let the foil be a little loose for the steam to enter. Place the food in the oven with the heat on for about four or five minutes. Turn the oven off and let the moist heat warm the food.[p]The Princess would tell you not to listen to me and just use the microwave . . .
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Big Murth,
    I would cook the ribs as normal, 3,1,1,. But I would cut out the last hour direct,keep them wraped in foil and put in the refridgerator, and save the last hour part for the eating day. Fire up the Egg and sauce and grill them. They will seem fresher and the friends wont know the difference.

• Big Murth,
    I have done this many times- cook the ribs fully on Sunday (although if you want to add a sauce, you can wait until monday) - wrap them in plastic wrap, refrigerate overnight and then re-heat just before serving. I like it best by reheating on the egg for about 15 minutes at 350 or so. I've also simply re-heated in the oven or microwave, but prefer the egg/grill method.[p]good luck!

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Big Murth,[p]Another option is to vacuum-seal the ribs and then place the bag (ribs sealed inside) in "close to boiling" water when you're ready to serve. You'll get a very similar result to dmj's steaming in the oven method.[p]Puj