Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ahh what the heck...

NoVA Bill
NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few nights ago, during one of the blizzards, I read a post where Hoss made sa beef stew. That post got me interested in making beef stew.

The wife likes barley so I found a beef & barley stew recipe that turned out great - didn't egg it as the egg was burried but will defintely do a DO cook on the egg with this recipe.

Thought I'd share anyway...

Here are the fixin's
DSCN0302.jpg
This was the last bowl I had for lunch today.
DSCN0306.jpg

BGE-Dutch Oven Beef & Barley Stew
By: Diana Rattray, About.com: Southern Food

Serve this flavorful beef stew with crusty rolls or biscuits for a hearty family meal.
Ingredients:
•4 slices bacon, diced
•1 tablespoon olive oil
•1 1/2 pounds stew beef, lean, cut into small pieces
•3 tablespoons flour
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/8 teaspoon pepper
•8 ounces sliced mushrooms
•1 cup sliced celery
•1 1/2 cups chopped onion
•6 cups beef broth
•1 bay leaf
•1/3 cup pearled barley
•2 cups sliced carrot
•2 cups diced turnip
•1 large baking potato, cut in cubes
•1 cup green peas, frozen, thawed
•2 tablespoons flour blended with 2 tablespoons cold water, optional
Added by NoVA Bill: 1 teaspoon Lotties Hot Pepper Sauce

Preparation:
Cook bacon over medium-low heat in a large stockpot or Dutch oven until almost crisp.
Toss stew beef pieces with the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add to the bacon mixture. Add olive oil. Add mushrooms, celery, and onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until beef is browned and onion is tender. Add beef broth and bay leaf. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 45 minutes. Add barley, carrots, and turnip. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add potatoes and simmer for about 25 minutes longer, or until vegetables and meat are tender. Add peas and cook for 10 minutes longer.

If desired, stir in the flour and water mixture. Cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbly.
Serves 6 to 8.

Comments