Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portabella Mushrooms

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang:[p]Has anyone fixed Portabella Mushrooms on your Egg? A lady at Sam's told me her husband fixes them on his gas grill & they turn out great. She said he just puts some butter on them & they were super. Any help would be appreciated.[p] Thanks
Dave

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    stripmushroom.jpg
    <p />Dave,
    They are great. I marinate mine in robust italian dressing. Brown some saugage. Cook gill side down, flip and fill with sausage and cheese. My guests just go crazy when I fix these.

• Dave
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Hey, Those look Great !! Do you just use American Cheese or does other types taste better?[p] Thanks
    Dave

• Unknown
    Options
    Dave,
    I do about the same. It doesnt take long if your temp is up round 400 or so. I brush with olive oil, do alot of asparaguss too and sprinkle with different rubs for flavor. I'm big on Tones Canada seasonin and Mustard Red Pepper.[p]gnb

• Cornbread Willy
    Options
    Dave,
    I did some last weekend that came out awesome. Just brush the caps (I did 4 of them) with some olive oil and grill for about 10 minutes, turning at about 7. In the meantime, in a skillet saute some diced onion, celery and red bell pepper until tender. Add 2 T of hot sauce of your choice and about 1 t or more to desired taste of Old Bay Seasoning. Add about 6 oz of lump crab meat (actually, I used backfin because it was on sale) and just mix to warm. Take the shrooms off the heat and fill 'em with the mixture. It's definitely a fork as opposed to an eat with your hands kind of thing, but they were good. I got the recipe online somewhere and it called for breadcrumbs and chicken stock but I didn't do that - I don't like my crabcakes with a bunch of filler so I just left it out. Great app or first course. We served them along with rolled flank steak. MMMMM.

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Dave,
    I like to use Worchersier sauce and apple cider vinegar as a marinade. I also "stud" them with garlic. I grill them at ~400* 4 minutes gill side down, then flip add more marinade then 8 more minutes. 30 minutes in the marinade is usally enough flavor for me.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Dave,
    Experiment, I like the colby-jack mixture. I have found that fine shredded works best. Melts quicker.
    I have them once a week. Sometimes just by themselves.[p]CWM

• Dave
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Thanks again. Everyone has been a big help. Can't wait till this evening to fix them. He He !!
    Dave

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Dave,[p]I love portabellas on the egg. Check out my "Grilled and Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms" under Appetizers on my recipe page....[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]QBabe's BBQ Adventures - Recipes[/ul]
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Dave,[p]The recipes suggested below sound great.
    I spoon in a little pesto and extra parmesan cheese in mine.
    Mushrooms rubbed in olive oil.
    Use any moderate temp you want. Longer times at a lower temp. Shorter time at higher temps. The results are the same. A very forgiving cook.
    I do mine direct on a raised grid.
    Semi soft textured mushroom is what I like.

• Unknown
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]These look awesome. Do you scrape out some gills to make room for the sausage or do you just pile it on top?[p]Trying these Sunday.