Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping the temperature constant

Options
Inna Avrelina
Inna Avrelina Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
[p]I have had my BGE for a little over a month now and keeping the temperature steady has been a constant problem. Part of my problem is the fact that my patio is enclosed on three sides and the breeze is sporadic. [p]My last attempt at keeping the temperature level was becoming very frustrating with the BGE either getting to hot or cooling off to much. I just could not get it to level off. Finally I put a small fan on an upside down bucket about three feet from the egg and turned the fan on low. It was pointed right at the opening at the bottom of the egg. It only took a few minutes to find the right adjustments with the slide on the bottom of the egg and the daisy wheel top. The temperature had very little change after the fan was added.[p]As far as I am concerned, the small fan has become part of my BGE equipment. It allows me to keep the breeze steady so adjustments can be made and not worried about constantly. Others may have a better solution to controlling their temperature. But the fan has worked wonders for us.

Comments

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    100-0044_img.jpg
    <p />Alan P,[p]I use these guys and they have worked quite well for me for the last 4 years. What you see is a prototype of a new design I'm goofin around with. Same concept though.[p]I always had a problem controlling temp also. Lot of folks here don't though.[p]The fans a good idea.[p]Mick

• Unknown
    Options
    Alan P,[p]I am a fairly new egg owner and my first time using my large egg I was amazed at how consistent the temp was maintained after opening and reclosing the egg. But the second time I used my egg I opened the bottom vent all the way open and the top one the same amount as before....and the temp rannnn away. Could have been due to the breeze....but I doubt it. I guess I will be one of those with the temp problem.[p]

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Alan P,[p]More folks seem to have a problem with strong breezes (a la Colorado) than no breezes. Once your fire is good and hot, i.e. drawing well, the BGE creates its own draft - like a good chimney. At that point with experience it becomes fairly easy to regulate.[p]Some folks favor the "bottom wide open - regulate with the top" approach, others the "bottom regulated - top wide open" approach. I'd encourage you to take the middle road: leave *both* wide open until your fire is well established (climbing rapidly into the 300-350 range), then close the bottom to about 1" and the top canted (ceramic) or with about 1" open (daisy). Then wait about 10 minutes or so and see where you are. If you need it hotter, open the bottom slightly. Need it cooler, close the bottom slightly.[p]Low and slow cooks take some skill to master, so don't try them immediately. Also - bottom open/top regulated seems to work better for smoking than the reverse.[p]It becomes kinda second-nature after awhile. You'll amaze your friends with the "25 degree door bump" and they will think you are a wizard.[p]Bob V
  • Unknown
    Options
    MickeyT,
    What are those things? They look like wooden dics with various # of holes. If they work, where do they come from?

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Espnga,
    MickeyT makes them. His original rings have a single hole in them, each ring with a different size hole. This allows you to get repeatable temperatures by using ring number 3 or ring number 5, etc. Apparently, those in the photo are a new version he is experimenting with. If you want some, email MickeyT and he'll set you up.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks Whiz for the quick reply. Happy Grilling!

• Dave's Not Here
    Options
    Alan P,
    I'll take a speculative guess about the problem. Do you have enough lump?[p]It is much easier to control the temp of a big fire than a small fire (but don't let it get to TRex temps).[p]In my formative years, I would load up with what seemed like a decent pile of lump (a couple of handfulls), and had both a hard time controlling the temp and a hard time getting it up over 350°.[p]The solution was to always fill Mr. Egg at least up to the bottom of the fire ring. When you are done cooking, close the vents and later you will still have 50-75% of the lump left. The next time you cook, mix some new lump with the old lump, and the old stuff will light like paper ... a bonus.[p]Dave

• Inna Avrelina
    Options

I should have covered that. Every time I use my BGE, I throughly stir the lump remaining from my previous cook. Then I use an old shop vac to remove the ash from the bottom of the cooker and finally fill to the top of the fire ring. Then I start the fire with the Mapp starter.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    MickeyT,
    i did some "goofing around" few years back with muli hole tile's that were held in place by the slide top. It did work but was not fool proof. they did limit the upper temps but could not revive a cooling fire.