Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about a small or mini....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My parents are thinking about getting an Egg after my wife and I rave about ours. They would only be cooking for 2 90% of the time. I have a large and love it, but I cook for 6 and have guests some time as well.[p]Is the mini more for singles or could you cook for 2? Is the small big enough that you can cook just about anything on, just in smaller portions?[p] They live in WA State and the best price I have found for a small is $300. Does that sound right?[p]I know alot of you have the small, but you also have a large. Can a person get by with only a small?

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Nate Dogg,[p]Definately the small over the mini. I love my mini but if I had a choice of only one of the two I would definately keep the small. That being said there are things to cook for two that a larger egg is nice for. Pizza is one thing that comes to mind. Whatever they decide I am sure they will love it.[p]Chuck

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Nate Dogg,
    I can't speak for the mini, but most of my cooking is for 2 and the small does a great job. While I grill more often, it also does a good job of low-and-slow and even baking.[p]Ken

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Nate Dogg, bigger is usally better and the small is bigger than the mini. While I certainly use my mini for a lot of cooking fo rthe two of us, I certainly would want at least a small if it was my only one. $300 sounds pretty reasonable.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Nate Dogg,
    Definitely small over mini if you can only have one. I haven't heard of anyone making 12" pizzas on the mini or doing overnight low and slow cooks. It's just my wife and I, also, and I started with a large. Even if 90% is only for 2, what about the other 10%? Also, with a large, you can cook a decent sized pizza. When your wife volunteers you to cook 30-40 pounds of pulled pork for the local women's shelter, you need a large. After you buy the large, then you go buy the small because you find out you want to cook 2 things at once but at different temps. However, I'd recommend you buy the largest Egg you can afford and you won't regret it.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I totally agree on the large. Only problem is that not everyone wants to spend $600 or more on a charcoal grill.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Nate Dogg,
    Money? What's that? LOL! Of course, this is not a charcoal grill. It is a grill, smoker, oven, roaster, etc. but you already know that. The small can do 2 pork butts. it can do 10 inch pizzas. So, you can certainly limp along with one. :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nate Dogg,[p]What about a Medium?
  • WilliamH
    WilliamH Posts: 57
    Options
    Tony,[p]I have a medium and that's all. I cook for myself and some friends on occassion and it's plenty. Sometimes I wish I had a small and a couple of times I wished I had a large. As long as you don't plan to vertical roast a large turkey, then a small or medium is probably best. (JMHO)
  • bodean
    bodean Posts: 19
    Options
    I have the large and just bought a mini this week.....Think I am fallin in love with mini....just me and the wife here now.........But I would follow the advice of the pro's.......They will not steer ya wrong....[p]Dean In NC