Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sams Club Grill w/BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
0076164413652_L4.jpg
<p />Anyone have one of these? I really like the option of gas or BGE, but if anyone has comments, I would appreciate it!

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    FlaGal,
    Several people have made posts about this grill combo. The consensus is that it is overpriced and you have poor access to get the ashes out.

• Unknown
    Options
    Ham 'n Egg,[p]Thanks for the quick response. Being a newbie to this board I wasn't sure how to do a search for that product. So a separate gas grill and a medium BGE would probably be the best way to go, huh?
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    A large and a small Egg would be the way to go. Dollars to doughnuts you'll find that you hardly ever fire up the gasser once you taste the food off the BGE.[p]Frosty Ones,
    Jim

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    ribsplus.jpg
    <p />FlaGal,[p]Save your money on the gas grill. If you saw, and ate, all the thing cooked on a BGE this past weekend at Eggfest, you would have no desire for a gas grill. I had a nice $600.00 Weber that I gave away to someone in need after it sat for two years after getting my 1st Egg. Save the money and put towards your 2nd BGE, you will probably want one eventually. [p]

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Standby for more responses, most of which will be to forget about the gas grill.[p]

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    JSlot,
    You have done doughnuts on the Egg, man I need that recipe!! haha

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Beat me to it. Hey we missed seeing you at Eggfest this weekend and missed that smoked bologna you made last year. Sounds like you had a great weekend though. Congratulations on the great finishes!!!![p]Chuck

• Unknown
    Options
    Chuck,[p]Nice set up! I have heard alot about these babies and know someone that has one, but have never tried the food from one. Hubby is the one that prefers gas, probably because it is easier. :)
  • JSlot
    Options
    Funny you noticed that, Kevin! LOL. There is an article in the food section of our paper today where a bunch of local chefs had a contest using Krispy Kreme doughnuts. The winner was a tiramisu using the glazed doughnuts. I gained 5 pounds just reading the recipe![p]Jim
  • JSlot
    Options
    Thanks, Chuck! I missed being there, but doing well in the contest eased my pain a little bit. LOL. I'll definitely be in Atlanta in October![p]Jim
  • Unknown
    Options
    FlaGal,
    That's the thing, it's not that much easier to cook with gas. There is a learning curve with the BGE, but once you get used to it, it's second nature, and you can get a fire to cooking temp very quickly. The variety and quality of what you can do on a BGE is amazing.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    FlaGal,
    That combo is about $1500-$1600. Unless you really crave a gas monstrosity, I'd buy a large egg and see how it goes. You could pick one up at a great price in October in Atlanta at Eggtoberfest. If you find you still need a gas monstrosity, then you can go shopping for one. However, many people on this board time and time again repeat the same old story: I haven't used my gas grill once since I bought the Egg. (Personally, I used my gas grill 1 time in 3 years after I bought my Egg.) For $1500 you could buy 2 large eggs and a small, probably. You could cook up a mess of food with that much Egg power! Charcoal is fun. Charcoal tastes better. An Egg is ever so much more versatile than a gas grill. So if you have doubts about the Egg, do what I did. Buy a large. I figured if it turned out to be the wrong choice I'd go get the gas monstrosity in a few years. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ham 'n Egg,[p]Well, I am starting to get convinced. We have had Ducane gas grills for over ten years but the recent one starting falling apart which got us into looking around. My thinking now is to get an Egg (you think the large?) and get that Ducane fixed for my hubby to use when he's totally lazy. I can't wait to read all the recipes and tips from the boardies here. I have already located the store here in our area and am planning a trip there Saturday. Thanks again!
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    FlaGal,
    Hey, easy is nuking a Hungry Man dinner in the microwave. We're talking seriously good food here. I bought a large BGE in 2000--now I hardly ever use my indoor oven. We added a Small in 2001, and that combo suits me just fine. Starting hardwood lump charcoal's easy and once you get the hang of cooking on the Egg, you'll never look back. Besides, it's really fun.

Cheers,
    Gretl

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    JSlot,
    That would be dangerous. Kind of like that craze of deep frying candy bars and Twinkies. I still need to try a fried snickers....hmmmm.

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Unknown
    Options
    FlaGal,
    I still keep a cheap grill to go along with my ceramic cooker. Sometimes you want a quick burger or hot dog or chicken breast and don't have time to fire up the Egg.
    Currently I have a cheap electric sunbeam that works just fine for those situations. Its not as tasty as an Egg but it is a lot quicker when I and the family are pressed for time. THat gas monstrosity would fill the bill but at quite a price. Better to get somenthing cheap for those situations.

• Unknown
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Thanks for the info. And I do like the lump hardwood charcoal, we used it quite a bit last summer on our temporary table top grill. The Egg can be used on a screened patio, right?
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    FlaGal,[p]Where in FL are you located? I have been using my medium on a screened patio for 2+ years without any problems.[p]Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Unknown
    Options
    SSN686,[p]I'm in Tampa. It's a fairly large screened room with a solid roof. The only worry would be asphyxiation from the burning charcoal.[p]Where are you in FL?
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    FlaGal,[p]check your email.[p]Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    FlaGal,[p]We had a Ducane also, and while I loved the rotisserie, the eggs are heads above anything else I've ever used. We now have 4 of them....![p]Maybe next year (March) you can come to the Florida Eggfest in Ocala and meet a few of the Florida clan....[p]Welcome,
    Tonia
    :~)

• randomegger
    randomegger Posts: 194
    Options
    FlaGal,[p]I still have a big honking Coleman gas grill alongside my large BGE. I still use it when I run out of grilling room (when we decide to add corn on the cobb to our meal) or need to keep something warm on the side. Once every couple of months or so. Now that I've added a small egg I'm not sure I'll be needing it anymore![p]To me this set up looks backward though. It should be a large BGE and a small gas grill on the side.
  • Unknown
    Options
    FlaGal,[p]I was obsessed with that Sams Grill. I’m in St. Louis MO and none of the Sams Clubs in MO had one in stock to look at. And shipping on that baby was going to be $399. So I hitched up the trailer and drove 6 hours to Florence, Kentucky, so I could see it. I was convinced I was going to tow that baby home. Long story short, when I saw it I was disappointed with the access to the lower air vent door. The picture on the web page shows the unit with the older style bands on the egg. But that unit came with the spring bands, which caused the designers to raise the egg, and the hinge was still rubbing on the stainless, when the egg was opened. Also the gas portion does not have a smoker box, which you would expect when buying a grill of that price range. I decided to save the money on the combo and get the large egg. For the difference you can still get a pretty nice gas grill. But, since getting the egg, I’m not convinced I even want the gas grill now. My wife thinks she wants to convenience of gas. But I think the egg and associated lump is much easier to light than briquettes in the weber. So we will see…
  • Unknown
    Options
    jps,[p]The good thing is, that Sams Club grill is so big it took me forever to figure out where to put it. I was even planning on buying a canopy to put over it... So, now it looks like we will be BGE shopping this weekend. Thanks to everyone and all their helpful comments!
  • tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Options
    FlaGal, do not waste your money on a gas grill. The Egg is so much better, more versatile, and the food taste is incredibly improved. Your worst meal on the Egg will be "normal" from the oven or a gasser...

• Unknown
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Thanks! Ya'll sure love your eggs, that's for sure. I am really looking forward to the shopping trip to the egg store this weekend.
  • Unknown
    Options
    tn slagamater,[p]...and I can make one of those steaks that are nice and charred on the outside and medium rare and tender on the inside? Someone show me a picture!