Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough weekend with the egg

Options
UKMatt
UKMatt Posts: 113
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So... Bad weekend for the egg so far.

First I screwed up myself by cooking pizza without cleaning out the ash - couldn't get it up to high temp and the pizzas were awful. Oh well, my mistake.

Now this morning I just threw away 9 pounds of pork butt and 6 pounds of brisket :(

I got the egg stable at 250 for 45 minutes, put on the meat (raised grid, pizza stone on bottom, drip tray, sliding rig with brisket, pork butt on the top).

Also placed my maverick therms in the pork and on the top grid.

Dome therm not touching the meat (I checked).

Temp dropped to less than 200 but I knew it would with all that meat.

I woke up this morning (5 hours later) to 100 degree meat and a 100 degree egg.

It had got warm enough for juices to collect in the drop pan so I decided not to chance getting it going again (I have guests coming - no use taking any risk).

The maverick didn't even beep despite me setting both low and high temp alarms for the smoker.

I have baby back ribs on now so fingers crossed I have sacrificed enough for the egg gods and they'll turn out good.

I hate the maverick - I'm on the market for an alternative.

UKMatt

Comments

• Meaty Boy
    Options
    Try the Stoker.

I had a maverick and it worked well for me but still had to go out and adjust the temps in the middle of the night.

Just used the stoker for my first cook (actually isnt quite done yet) for a brisket and it has held it at 225 all night long.

I plan to attach it to my wireless network then I can keep an eye on it via the Blackberry when at work or running errands on the weekends :) .

Good luck with the ribs.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I used a maverick for the first time last night and I think I must be an idiot, because I have no luck...zero.

I guess I need to reread the instructions.
  • UKMatt
    UKMatt Posts: 113
    Options
    Replying to my own post... I too went back to my instructions and realized (doh!) that setting the temperatures doesn't mean it will alarm - you actually have an alarm on/off as well!

Stupid me thought that if I set a temperature alarm it would go off - nope. Need to set the thresholds AND turn the alarm on.

Operator error...

But with that said, I still really dislike the Maverick - awkward to set up, finicky...

I wish I had the $$$ for a stoker!

UKMatt
  • SoonerChris
    Options
    UKMatt wrote:

Temp dropped to less than 200 but I knew it would with all that meat.

I woke up this morning (5 hours later) to 100 degree meat and a 100 degree egg.

UKMatt

Get a digiQ II. No more sleepless nights. You won't regret it.