Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egg to hot

Options
rzrrob
rzrrob Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
got the egg at 375 closed almost vents complty how long will it take to get down to 250

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    What are you cooking?

Mike
  • rzrrob
    Options
    geting ready to drop a brisket on
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    If the plate setter is not in and the brisket, the temp will drop 50 degrees.
    Mike
  • rzrrob
    Options
    plate setter is in but not the brisket,,, i have both vent open about less then a 1/4

do you think its okay to put it on now ??
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I cook mine at 375 but I wrap after 3 hours.

Mike
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If you put the setting back to where they were your egg will eventually climb back to it's previous temperature.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

It is hard to lower the temperature of the egg. The ceramics are holding the heat which is what makes the egg so good.

It will take a good amount of time and be careful as not to put out the lump while trying to get the temperature down.

If you have read past posts everyone will tell you not to get the egg to high a temperature. Come up to temperature now down. You know why... we all learn that lesson one way or another.

GG
  • Leggo My Eggo
    Options
    I have found that burping the egg every few minutes will bring the dome temp down pretty quick. I've done it on some cooks where I let my temp get too hot and have never had a problem with the food turning out good or my fire going out.
  • Joel
    Joel Posts: 74
    Options
    While it's much easier to bring up the temperature slowly, I've been distracted and found my Egg 300 degrees higher than I intended. The thick ceramic shell will naturally inhibit heat loss and the fire will likely be snuffed if you simply close the vents and wait for the Egg to cool. In my predicament, I closed the vents and slowly raised the dome every few minutes to cool the dome. After a few iterations, you Egg will cool to your desired temperature. You may have to add more lump since you may have consumed a considerable portion.

One word of burnt knuckle caution - Be very careful when opening the dome during this process. The fire is starving for O2 and will create a nasty fireball with a thunderous "whoomph". This lesson only needs to be taught once because you'll never forget it.

Good luck!

-Joel
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    IT is counterintuitive, but closing the vents down to about 1/4" and waiting is the best way to get the temp both down and stable.

Opening the egg to let out heat is actually giving it a huge gulp of oxygen - which will get the coals stoked again.
  • Joel
    Joel Posts: 74
    Options
    @Fidel - Good to know. I've attempted that method and wasn't able to bring my temp down. I'm guessing I wasn't patient enough. Do you shut down both top and lower to 1/4"?

-Joel
  • yep.
    opening the dome on a low and slow cools nothing but the thermometer, and raises the temp eventually, as you say.