Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone Tried This?

Options
Capt Frank
Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I usually cook Babybacks but since spares were on sale for about 1/3 BB price I decided to go that way. While trimming and prepping I wondered if the bottom flap that is discarded in most recipes would make good Pig Candy B)
I cut it cross grain into about one inch strips, applied the Dizzy Dust, then shook the pieces in a bag with brown sugar. Put them on my little half moon raised rack w/ drip pan along side the ribs. :)
250 for 5 1/2 hrs.
Turned out very good hot and even better this morning cold.
Here's the results :cheer:

Capt. Frank
Homosassa, FL
P2050012.jpg

P2050015.jpg

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I cook the flap with the ribs but just take it off earlier and eat it as a appetizer.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Thanks, this worked well for me. The ribs and the "Flap Candy" were both delicious. I think my rib preference has just changed from BB's to Spare's :P

Capt. Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Frank, that looks tasty!! I'm keeping that in mind for the next time, thanks. You are making your own ...mmm..pickled peppers? Or what?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Glad to see you've come over from the Dark Side!!

"May the Spare be with You"!!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Well, I'll just tell ya, my buddy makes that stuff, it's basically an empty whiskey bottle stuffed with home grown peppers of whatever variety he happens to pick, then filled with cider vinegar B). Makes a lip-smackin; good hot sauce :evil: No two batches just alike. I like to use it in my "mop" sauce, apple cider, this pepper sauce, and a little wooster. I also add a little to my cocktail sauce for shrimp, oysters, etc. Splash a little in a Bloody Mary too :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL