Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL BGE is on its way! Need help with my checklist

Options
BGE Convert
BGE Convert Posts: 127
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Board members. I will be taking delivery of my BGE in the next week or two. At this point I have been trying to inventory a lot of things that people use and am looking to finalize my starter checklist.

As part of my purchase I ordered the table, plate setter and ash stirrer. I will probably get the pizza stone once I have mastered getting the BGE to higher temps (as I have seen some discussion that some people are having trouble cracking the 550 degree barrier). I see that people use devices from the ceramic grill store called spiders, woks and adjustable raised grids. Looking to do some low and slows so please give me your opinion of must haves from the ceramic grill store.

As for thermometers, I am definitely going to get me a Thermapen and it seems that the starter remote thermometer of choice is the ET-73. For more advanced BBQers', it seems as though the investment in the DigiQ, Stoker or ProCom-4 is needed. Let me know your opinions on these items. While people on this board rave about the ET-73, a lot of the reviews on Amazon reveal that 25% of the reviewers don't care too much for the device (which I take with a grain of salt especially with consumer grade electronics, "it is what it is").

I purchased a box of fire bricks from my local ACE hardware. However, I don't think the six that I got will provide a wide enough base to place my BGE on top of. I have seen multiple posts where the use of a paver stone (greater than 1 inch thickness) still results in a table burnout. Any suggestions for a cheap fix to this problem that does not involve purchasing another box of fire bricks.

Let me know if I am missing anything else (got plenty of lump!)

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    When placing your BGE in your table first place a large paver on the shelf or a layer of fire brick then use the three green feet that comes with your egg. Place two feet in front and one in back. This should give you plenty of air flow under your egg and keep it from scorching your table. Tim ;)

If your get you egg with the extras you have mentioned you have a good start on egging some great food. Happy egging! :)
  • Right on Q
    Options
    Welcome to the club. I just got my XL in Novemeber and love that I am able to do large amounts of butt and ribs. I have mine in a nest so I do not have the issue of burning the table with the XL. But I have had my medium in a table for over 8 years and never had an issue with it charring the table. I have my egg place on a 1" patio paver the same one for 8 years and no problems. I have done many "T-Rex" during that time. I did purchase the Flip 3 ring with the wok, Spider and charcoal ring from the Ceramic Grill store and they all work great. As soon as my wife forgets that I just bought the XL I will be getting a Large. It is addictive.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Here is a post where some people only used the feet and the egg burned through the table. There is also a pic where they only used the paver and not the feet. Just saying you do what is best for you. Tim

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=784067#784067
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Just one point, if you go the Adjustable rig route and get your pizza stone there to fit the rig, then you do not need a platesetter. Give Tom a call at the Ceramic Grill Store and he can help get you set up. The rest of your plan is perfect, rememeber the feet under the egg, on top of the pavers and you will be fine.

And welcome to the forum and the world of egg.

Doug
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Unless things have changed, the XL doesn't come with feet. You may want to check with your dealer to verify. I would order a set to put between the base and and paver.
  • BGE Convert
    Options
    Looks as though a paver stone greater than 1" thickness while using the feet to provide some clearance and airflow is the way to go. Thanks! I will be heading out to Home Depot to get a couple of those gray pavers that everyone seems to use :)
  • BGE Convert
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I called the retailer and they confirmed that feet did not come with the XLBGE and was promptly told that they were not necessary. In this case I will take FL Poolman's pictures as enough evidence that the feet are needed.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I'm sure your dealer means well but I would certainly use the feet. Alternatively, you could use three of the fire bricks on top of a paver to provide a little air space.

You are gonna be over the moon with the XL.
  • field hand
    Options
    I have the XL and love it. For raised grilling, we did a couple things. One, I used "split" fire bricks, which are half normal thickness, and cut them to raise my CI grid to gasket level. They sit on the fire ring and are 2.75 inches high. I use six of these pieces which support the two half moon CI grids. For extended/raised cooking, I bought an 18 inch grid and added bolts to raise it about five inches above gasket level. Both methods are working fine. Just something for consideration. Fully agree re the thermapen and ET-73, both great tools to have.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO