Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham Great Success

Options
kmellecker
kmellecker Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to the Forum, my first attempt at baking a ham was a great and tasty success. Thanks specifically to Grandpas Grub for his suggestions of using cherry wood (I normally use Apple with pork)and putting brown sugar on the pineapple slices with a sprinkling of cinnamon. They were a great compliment to the ham. My one big surprise was how fast it cooked. I used a 9lb Smithfield ham and their recommendation was to cook at 350 @ 17-20 minutes per lb and pull with an internal of 148 (about 3 hours). I pulled it at 145 internal after an hour and 50 minutes! I planned on checking the calibration on the thermometer but unfortunately it twisted as I pulled it out so I have no idea if that was the culprit. Oh well, guess I'll just have to do another one and see what happens...
HamontheEgg001.jpg[img size=150][/img] Ham after 1 hour. Baste to left is butter, honey and can of pineapple chunks with juice.
HamontheEgg002.jpg[img size=150][/img] Pineapple slices sprinkled with brown sugar and cinnamon
[url]HamontheEgg003.jpgPERFECT![/url]

Comments

• LoneStarEgg
    Options
    That is a great looking ham. I'll bet it was tasty.
  • kmellecker
    Options
    Very. Our neighbors came over for a cocktail and stayed for dinner. Just enough left on the bone for split pea soup.
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    looks fantastic, would love to try that myself
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Glad to see the results, very nice cook. Congratulations.

Now get some fontana and swiss cheese tomato and some buns. Make yourself a great sandwich.

Hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Suggestion/tip on your posting.

When you put a picture in make sure you press return so there is a line break and the text will go below the picture will go below the test.

Use only the IMG Code from photobucket and don't use the green barcode buttons here on the forum.

Using the direct paste of the IMG Code of pictures from photobucket will not be able to be seen in the preview mode here on the forum. The code in the forum is not capable (or not programed) to recognize HTLM IMG tag in upper case or mixed case. If you want to see the images you will have to change the upper case or mixed cast to all lower case in order to see the pictures in preview before posting.

If you want/need to see the pictures in preview than manually change the opening tag from upper case to lower case. You probably know this but... a semi-fast way to change the case structure is to highlight and copy the "img" (lower case). Then mouse over to every "IMG" and double click. The "IMG" will be highlighted and just paste.

Again, great cook and great post.

GG
  • kmellecker
    Options
    Thanks again for your original cooking tips and the photo posting suggestions. I have to admit I had to call my daughter in for assistance. She will appreciate your help as much as I do.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:laugh: My 3 year old grand son gets really frustrated when I play video games with him. He tells me to give the controller to grandma cuz she knows how to move the controls better than me. I'm just getting old I guess.

GG
  • kmellecker
    Options
    Amen. Old is not what it's cracked up to be...
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    That my friend, is one fine looking ham!
  • kmellecker
    Options
    Thank you much, I was very pleased with the outcome. Them DAWGS from Georgia??