Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin tip and new camera

Options
BucsFanJim
BucsFanJim Posts: 161
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
big_gr1.jpg
<p />I'm gonna try to post all the pics in this post..if not the other pics will be in subsequent posts. [p]First pic. 7 lb. sirloin tip prior to injecting and rub.
(injected with beef broth, cranberry juice, garlic powder, onion powder)

Comments

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    big_gr2.jpg
    <p />Second pic after injecting and rub.

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    big_gr3.jpg
    <p />Third pic....after searing direct at 450-500* then I set it up indirect with inverted plate setter. [p]
  • BucsFanJim
    Options
    big_gr4.jpg
    <p />Last pic sliced after cooking at dome of 350* to internal temp of 150 and rested foiled, toweled in a cooler for 1 hour or so prior to slicing.
    Sirloin tip is not my favorite, it was a good deal and I thought it would be a good test for the Egg. This was very flavorful and really lean. Best one I've done. [p]Camera review? It has a great close-up feature...but you have to be REALLY still in order to get a good pic.

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    BucsFanJim,
    pics look good. If you kinda have the jitters take a pic, do like I do and get yourself a monopod, a 1 legged tripod, they are really nice and handy.

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Thanks for the tip.

• Unknown
    Options
    BucsFanJim,
    Lighting and vibration are usually the biggest problems when it comes to close-up or macro photography. When you focus really close you generally need much more light- so the camera will generally slow down the shutter speed to get more light, making it difficult to get a non-shakey image because when you use magnification, EVERYTHING gets magnified, especially every move you make, and indeed, every breath you take.
    Of course, most hand-held cameras only have one flash setting, so when you get too close it may completely white-out the picture- this can be fixed by blocking the flash a bit with a pice of paper or tissue.
    A monopod is a good idea, and they also sell min table-top tripods that can easily be stowed away.
    Some cameras have different shooting modes such as sports/action, landscape, or portraiture. If you ahve an Action setting, use that one, it will make your camera use a faster shutter speed.
    hope that helps a bit
    I do macro and micro photography for a living- just let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help you with.

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    WailingAngusBeef,
    Thanks for those tips. Yes, the camera does have an action setting. I'll try that one next time.