Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TREX - How were the turkeynecks?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any details on how your turkeyneck cook turned out?

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    necksdirect.JPG
    <p />paulH,[p]They were pretty good. Only thing I'd do different is either cook them a little longer in the indirect phase, or foil them for an hour - they weren't quite as fall-off-the-bone tender as I would have liked, but I was crunched for time so had to shorten the cook.[p]Click on the link below for details and more pictures of the cook.[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Turkey Necks[/ul]
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Hey TRex,
    Great looking website. I enjoyed looking through it.

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • TRex
    Options
    Squeeze,[p]Thanks. It's been a fun hobby.[p]TRex
  • Unknown
    Options
    TRex,[p]These look fantastic, but I get the impression the wife wouldn't try them. If this is the case, I would suggest in the future you refrain from showing your wife the pre-cooked ingredients and just show her the finished product, I don't see how she could resist nibbling on one of those beauties.
  • TRex
    Options
    paulH,[p]She didn't even see them raw. It was the thought of a grilled "neck" that disgusted her. She asked, "So, is that their spinal column?" What could I say? It was a lost cause from that point forward.[p]Yeah, they were great to gnaw on - very spicy makin'-your-eyes-water kind of eating. Like I said before, I do wish they had fallen off the bone a bit easier, but that's a good lessons learned for next time.[p]TRex
  • Unknown
    Options
    TRex,[p]Maybe you should try the following recipe (modified for the egg instead of the oven). After delicacies like this, spinal column may not appear so bad.[p]Kokoretsi
    sheep liver, 1 lung, 2 hearts, 2 spleens, 2 testicles, intestines, salt, pepper, oregano, oil
    [p] Turn the intestines inside out and wash them carefully in hot water. Turn them back again (outside in). Cut the internal organs in small pieces and wash them carefully as well. Put salt, pepper, oregano on them and put them on a skewer (a big steel skewer).
    You put liver, spleen, heart, lung, testicles and continue like that until all the pieces are skewered. Pin one end of the intestine to the skewer and wind the intestine around the skewer. If the intestine is too short, take another one and tie it to the first one, and continue to wind. Put salt, pepper, oregano and oil on "kokoretsi" and bake it in low heat for 2 - 2 1/5 hours. Serve hot together with other meat dishes and a salad.[p]I got this recipe from the website www.funlinked.com/testicle/recipe.html[p](It rained all day yesterday and I spent a lot of time surfing the internet).