Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Arrgh! 20-hour butt was only 12!

chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I have my first Egg barbeque party with invited guests. A new co-worker just moved here from Texas and so I'm throwing a "Welcome to Colorado" barbeque.[p]My menu includes pulled pork BBQ sandwiches so I planned for an 18-20 hour low and slow. Started the low and slow yesterday at 6:00 pm after a batch of smoked olives (my first) and a batch of smoked almonds. I protect myself from the "cold egg" syndrome with my new Nu-Temp wireless thermometers.[p]Well the low-temp alarm went off at 2:15 am, and again at 3:20 am. I guess at 3:20 am I was a little peeved that the fire was going out so I opened the daisy a bit more that I would have had it been, say, 3:20 pm. I even bumped the lower vent open a little bit more.[p]I woke up at 6:30 and checked the Nu-Temp display - the butt was at 207 degrees! (The dome temp was about 297) I guess I didn't hear the "done" alarm that I had set at a good 10 degrees cooler. So I got up and foiled the butt and now it is in a cooler wrapped in towels.[p]Looks like I'll have to pull this pork before I had planned. And keep it refrigerated until we're ready to eat, say 6:00 pm this evening. [p]Question: Do I then serve the pork cold w/ sauce? Or reheated and if so how? Or will a foiled butt keep for 10 hours?[p]Chuck[p]P.S. Also on the menu - ABTs (of course), wings, and corn on the cob, roasted on the egg

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    chuckls,
    I cooked a bunch of pulled pork for a women's shelter and pulled it around 9:30 am. I put it in disposable foil trays and refrigerated. My wife took it all to the shelter and heated the trays at 350 for 30 minutes and she said it turned out fine. She says the women in the shelter were blessing me! :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I forgot to mention, she put the pulled pork in the oven about 5:30 pm that evening.[p]TNW
    The Naked Whiz
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I've just stuck the temp probe into the butt, then rewrapped and put back into the cooler. I'll watch the temp (it's 167 now) and if it drops below 140, I'll pull and refrigerate. [p]Then pop into the oven (covered) for 30 minutes to reheat when needed. Thanks![p]Chuck
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    chuckls,
    Did it seem like it was OK? (as in done, and pullable?)[p]I had asimilar problem once, and let the temp in Mr. Egg drop back, and the meat temp also dropped back to the plateau, and held there until it was done "doing it's thing." I suppose the length of time it was at the 297 mark would have a bearing on the outcome.[p]Let us know how it turned out. Hey, your last post with the internal at 167 is a good thing, it was still cooking the toughness out![p]Mike in MN

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    chuckls,
    Pull it then reheat later, its what every bbq joint does.

• chuckls,[p]Oh my gosh, this turned out to be the best PP I have ever cooked! Ususally sometimes in the shoulder somewhere the pork gets a little dry and a bit tougher, but this butt was AWESOME! I kept hearing around the picnic table "this pork is really good!"[p]I wonder if it was because I cooked it to 207 internal? I just might try this again![p]Chuck