Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Turkey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to cook a turkey this weekend. I am having a bunch of people over to the house after a 1st communion (church). I thought I should get up early, get the bird on the grill, get it close to done and then drop the heat back so that it stays warm while we are at church. We will be gone for about 2 hours. Leaving the house about 11am. Should I cook the turkey to complete "doneness" and then drop the temp back to say 200* and cover in foil? What is the best way to come home to a juicy, warm and not over cooked turkey?[p]Thanks for your help!
Becks

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Becks in MN,
    I think it depends on a few things. First, how big is the turkey? Shouldn't take more than a few hours. Also, depends on what time you want to eat after Mass.
    One option would be to put on and let it finish cooking while at church...but that's a bit risky. It could overcook while you were away and not know it.
    Best option is probably to get up early, cook it completely before leaving for churck. Wrap in foil and then put in an insulate ice chest. It'll stay warm for hours.
    Good luck and congrats to the young one.