Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey Necks - NEED RECIPE!

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have the recipe for the smoked turkey necks that were done at several of the Eggtoberfests? I can't remember the name of the kind gentleman who cooked them, but they were awesome.[p]Anyway, our local HEB had them for sale in packs of 4 for $0.99! I couldn't pass up that deal - if they turn out crappy, I'm only out two bucks.[p]Thanks for your help,[p]TRex

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Must.....resist.....posting joke......about....."turkey neck!" Maybe Stumpbaby will do the honors. :)
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    TRex,
    I think this is what your looking for.
    Larry

[ul][li]Smoked Turkey Necks[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    TRex,[p]
    Please let us know how the turkey necks turn out. I must say however, that it appears a little strange to see a post from someone who usually cooks prime rib, steaks (prime only, no choice or select) and tenderloins (pork and beef) asking for a turkey neck recipe. What's next, chicken feet?

• TRex
    Options
  • TRex
    Options
    paulH,[p]You can just imagine the look on my wife's face when I told here what "those weird looking things" were. Her response was, "Don't you think there's a reason why they're only 99 cents?"[p]The smoked turkey necks at Eggtoberfest are always a hit, though. And with the price of beef these days, I'm having to be more and more creative . . . or, shall I say, "open" to other things.[p]TRex
  • Unknown
    Options
    TRex,[p]I'm reminded of the time my wife and I were at a Dim Sum restaurant, where they bring out small dishes as you order them. I saw chicken feet as an item on the menu, and thinking they must be prepared in some exotic manner decided to order them. I should have reconsidered when the waiter gave me a funny look upon ordering. When they arrived, they were nothing more than steamed chicken feet. I tried to foll my wife and act like they tasted good, but I couldn't even finish one, nothing but chewy gristle.
  • tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Options
    paulH,those turkey necks are a popular item at eggtoberfest.As I recall, William Kelsey(who makes them) has 8 large Eggs and does a large catering business based just on the T necks. He said he can't keep up with the orders in football season...they ARE that good!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    TRex,
    I did a few turkey necks yesterday. After I did them, I decided that it really would have been better if I had cut them into about 2" lengths. That way they are easier to pick up and nibble on one. A whole neck takes a while to nibble all th emeat off of but I guess you can cut afterwards as well.

• Unknown
    Options
    tn slagamater,[p]I look forward to hearing how they turn out for TRex. I have not heard of them before. Is this a regional dish that's popular in some areas?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I disagree, as a natural born meat eater, one of the plaeasures in life is savoring a bone with meat, AKA ribs, and I would never cut the necks into 2" pieces, as turkey necks are already roughly rib sized. I was surprised, after trying his necks, and then Egging them myself, how much meat can be, sucked, knawed, and otherwise taken from a turkey neck. William ?, is one of the great people that you meet at Eggtoberfest. I consider him my yearly friend. His necks, while great, were kind of spicy, and he cooked an unlimited supply of them at Eggtoberfest. [p]