Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed pork loin

Options
RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I fired up some stuffed pork loin a few nights ago.

The pork loin was rubbed with some peppers and chili flakes. It was stuffed with some sweet peppers and goat cheese. I cooked it indirect at 350 with some cherry wood and served it with some potato dumplings and hunters sauce.

It was a bit too spicy for my liking, but still a pretty nice cook.

DSC00649.jpg
DSC00651.jpg
DSC00657.jpg
DSC00669.jpg

Tonight's dinner plans just went south. I picked up some nice veal chops last weekend, took them out of the freezer last night so they would thaw out in the fridge overnight. We just walked in the door and I went to get the chops ready for the egg. They're still frozen solid. Rather than forcing the thaw, I think I'll make them up for dinner tomorrow.

Hmmm. I think I see left overs in my future for tonight's dinner.

Michael

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Looking good Michael, but are you on a diet? where's the bacon wrap :P

Gary
    canuckland
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    That looks awesome! I want some!
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    When you do a stuffed loin like that, do you go by temp? By just inserting the thermapen a little ways in? Or do you go by time, etc.?

Awesome looking... so colorful!
  • Hi Gary:

No diets here buddy!

I just thought I'd try something a little different.

Some family members like spicy food, others don't. I was trying to strike a little balance but I think I was a little heavy handed on the chili peppers.

Maybe next time I'll put the chili peppers on one side and not the other.

Live and learn!

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Thanks Todd !

I see you're going to FLA - I look forward to meeting you.

I'm sure that you'll be bringing some sauces with you - if I can figure out how to safely get them back to the GWN, I want some sauces too!

Have a great day!

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Hi texasAUtiger:

As the meat wasn't very thick, I decided to cook indirect. I thought I would have more control without direct flame cooking the outside of the meat too fast. I wasn't too worried about the temp of the cheeze/peppers.

I had an idea how long the cook would take, I liked the look and feel of the meat and then I inserted the thermapen part way into the meat to confirm my suspicions.

It was an eggsperiment for me and I think it worked.

I hope this helps.

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Options
    There has been some lively debate recently about the types of posts, content and participation.

Many members suggesting that the content should be about food, techniques, BGE cooks, etc. and some posts indicating that there are reasons for the OT forum and that people should use it.

Personally, I don't mind OT posts on the fourm, the insertion of humour, even the odd off colour comment, especially when the member gives us an opportunity to read or not read by making a notation in the subject line.

What I would suggest is that the post I submited was about food and allowed ample opportunity for more experienced eggers to critique the cook, make recommendations about spice alternatives, or other comments. Some of you know from previous posts that I am plating challenged - this time I tried something different and no one commented about that.

It's not my intention to whine here, I'm just making an observation.

Michael
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Michael,

the final plate looks very much appetizing.

Also noticed that you don't have much of a gap between the egg and table. Is it just me or the angle of the photo?
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Thanks Adam!

The gap between the egg and the table is usually 1/2" - maybe I shifted the egg when I moved the table. Thanks for pointing that out.

Good luck with your winter fest. Sounds like you'll have a great time.

Michael
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I envision a 'wet your pants' kinda weekwnd. :P