Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Stripstike, err..Stikesteak, err Stripsteak

Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Danger zone question. Is it the ambient temp, or the internal temp that must be watched carefully? It seems like having something in an Egg that has a dome temp in excess of 140 should do it. Huh? Thanks

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    you want to measure the 140 at the grate temp where the food is placed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    But no need to worry abut the internal temp for this purpose, right?
  • fishlessman
    until a few years back most of us were cooking pulled pork around 220 degrees, i can pretty much garrantee that those butt internals never made it to 140 internal in 4 hours and noone here was getting sick ;)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    that being said, you cant cook chicken or ground meat safely at 140 degrees because your not reaching safe temps, beef jerky i cook at 140 though and will think nothing of it.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    i think we all changed to 250 in our posts so we didnt have to listen to newbies fires going out in the night, was just easier to go with the flow :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Me Three,
    Had a 9 lb. butt go about 23 hours at 220. No one got sick and it turned out great.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You are correct. The exterior surface is your concern.

Unless you are cooking ground meat, boneless butts, or meat that has otherwise had the interior compromised.
  • depends what you are talking about and where the bacteria is.

whole chunk of meat? there's no bacteria in it. so ambient temp is the issue.

de-boned butt, where a knife has had its way with it (and thereby transferred bacteria inside)before it was tied up again? well, untie it, maybe wash it, salt it, rinse it, retie it, then hope you got all the bacteria.

ground beef? uncured sausage? the bacteria are now inside the meat (potentially). get it above 140 within the "danger zone" time frame

you can always sanitize meat with hydrogen peroxide if you are really worried. one gyy here a year or so ago spilled some on his meat and was universally told to pitch the meat.

h2o2 is actually safe to clean food with, and the byproduct of its use is water and oxygen.

if you wanna follow the safe-serv guidelines, you;ll have to ask around. i dunnno nuthin 'bout no safe-serv. i just a id-ee-ot