Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Non-stick drip pan in an egg?

Options
Ricklesss
Ricklesss Posts: 391
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Let me start off by saying I'm NOT a big fan of non-stick. (But a HUGE fan of cast iron...)
BUT.
I'm wondering if for using as a drip pan on feet sitting on a p/s at to medium temps would be ok?
(Specifically: Fumes/toxicity or other bad ju-ju.)
Though I could just line a regular pan with AF, I'm just thinking it would be easy clean up.

Maybe this is more a personal call...(some like me) hardly ever use it.
Anyhow...
Thanks!

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I just line with foil and toss it unless I need to deglaze for sauce or gravy.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    ditto

I had this old broiler pan from an oven I notched and line with HDAF for my large plate setter. Works great. Tim

000_1170.jpg

000_1175.jpg

I simply took a grinder to it on both sides and there you go. I have seen them used in goodwill stores. Heck for that matter you may be able to find any old pan in a good will store to use.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ricklesss,

I have several non-stick frying pans that I have removed the handles from. The work well for collecting drippings and are easy to clean if you don't want the drippings. They are also good for vegetables and potatoes cooked below meat.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• an empty non-stick pan should never see medium high heat. not sure of the exact cut-off. i thought it was 500, but alton brown implied it was lower. for example, don't preheat one dry before frying or pan searing something

the issue is that an empty pan will heat up to the point that it will release fumes. the fumes are proven toxic (this isn't a galvanized-metal type myth). now, how dangerous is that outside in a well ventilated area? i dunno. just as dangerous as the other fumes which come out of the egg probably (CO, etc.). it's rare, but it is a real concern.

the point is, use it if you want. just don't keep birds near it, or breath in heavily. hahaha same rules for cooking without non-stick in the egg

of course, setting the toxicity of the fumes aside for the moment, their presences means the coating is being compromised.

why bother?

i use a couple sheets of foil, crimped together and then crimped around the edges in a circle. toss it in the trash when yer done.