Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rice cooker

Options
outrageous
outrageous Posts: 803
edited November -1 in Off Topic
any good and bad reports on rice cookers, do they make dry rice for house fried rice or do you still need to put in frig overnight to dry out..... thanks.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have 3 electric rice cookers and always cook some extra rice to make fried rice the next day or so. I know that most oriental restaurants usually use the daily fresh and just stir fry in the wok with some hot oil, usually peanut, as it will take the high heat and not smoke or burn.
  • outrageous
    Options
    richard , thanks, does the electric cookers get the rice "dry", sometimes i can get mine dry cooking the regular way and sometimes it does not get dry enough. i know the chinese places always have dry fluffy rice with their house fried rice.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    outrageous,

There is a warm feature on most of them. If you do the rice and leave it on warm until it shuts off you will have dry rice. Guess how I figured that one out. :blush:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• outrageous
    Options
    may i ask how did u figured that out.........thanks for the information, i love fried rice but my rice is not consistent enough to suit me.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Too many beers and forgot to serve dinner. B) I have the Cuisinart BTW.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rick in Crystal Lake
    Options
    I have a rice cooker but I find that a pressure cooker makes perfect rice every time. It can be made sticky or fluffy depending on if you rince rice first or soak for ablout an hour befor cooking. I find the pressure cooker makes a much better rice than my rice cooker. The best part is that the pressure cooker is much more versitle for other cooks as well including making soups and stocks, quickly. Beside my egg, it's my next best friend..But I have found that I need to let the rice sit in the fridge overnight before making fried rice. :)
  • Rick in Crystal Lake
    Options
    I have the sass cook book, also have the pc cookbook by bob warden from qvc. He has an excellent pepper steak recipe that my wife and i just love. I find the use of bases such as beef, chicken or vegitable in place of water for the liquid make the tase of the foods even better. Especially like the use of chicken stock when making rice, brown or white. And you are right, the pc makes the best brown rice!!