Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Beef Stew... Question

SmokinSoCalSmokinSoCal Posts: 145
edited 3:54AM in EggHead Forum
When do I add flour to thicken the stew?

Thanks,
Todd

Comments

• GunnarGunnar Posts: 2,305
    Make a paste of cold water and flour with no lumps. I would add 45 minutes (plus) prior to the end of the cook so insure no "raw" flour taste. You can also see if thickens to your liking.....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,747
    SmokinSoCal,

I generally dredge the beef in seasoned flour before I sear it. That generally thickens it enough. If it needs more after the meat is tender I use potato or corn starch in a little stock.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I generally dredge my stew meat in flour and brown it before making the stew, then use kneaded butter (essentially a roux), if required, to thicken it a little before serving.
  • I did the flour thing when browning the meat. Stew seems kinda oily... Any suggestions?
  • I use Wondra, but if you don't have any, then you can use cornstarch mixed with a little water (directions are on the box).

I usually add it 1/2 hour or so before serving.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 6 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 2 Smalls, 1 well-used Mini
    After I brown the meat, I'll pour off anything over 2T or so of the remaining oil. There shouldn't be enough fat in the stew meat to cause the stew to become terribly oily, though. If it is still oily, maybe try sticking it into the fridge or freeer for a short time to get the fat to congeal, then removing it.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,747
    Brad,

You can also take the oil off with paper towels or coffee filters(just learned that today).

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Good point, Steven. What he said, eh?
  • AvocadosAvocados Posts: 465
    Instead of the traditional flour dredging and browning in an oil I like to smoke my beef in the BGE with some hickory wood. The point left over from a brisket cook into cubes also works great. Usually I just cut some sirloin into strips or chunks and then smoke them for an hour or two before starting the stew.
    Mmmmm...burnt ends stew. I think we have a winner.
  • hornhonkhornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Avocados, that's a heck of an idea. I never would have thought of that :)