Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless thermometers

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know of a wireless thermometer that can measure the dome temperature rather than, or as well as, the temperature of the meat? What I want to be able to do is have an alarm so I can go to sleep when I am cooking a pork shoulder, or other overnight cook, and the egg temp spikes over 300 - by the time the meat temp rises it may already be too late.[p]Thanks

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I use my Redi-Chek 701 probe in place of the BGE thermo on overnight cooks. I know the meat temp won't be an issue until it is almost done, so I just put the probe back in the meat when I roll out of bed. BTW, you shouldn't have any problem with the temp getting too hot. I set mine to monitor if the temp drops BELOW 230°. I'm more concerned with the fire going out. I cook at 250° dome temp.[p]Jim
  • JSlot,
    I just ordered a Redi-Chek ET-73 from thegadgetsource.com for 39.99. According to the pdf manual I downloaded, it monitors the meat and grill temps simultaniously, and you can set upper and lower alarms both at the same time.[p]Roy