Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rib doneness question

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never tried using a meat thermometer for ribs and apparently most on here agree. I know people use tenderness/bendability to judge doneness. What are the symptoms of overdone ribs? Is it possible to over cook ribs if it is done on low temps?

My ribs yesterday were very good but probably could have been just a little more tender. I smoked them for 3.5 hours at 245 dome temp and then another 1.5 hours in foil and apple juice at 275 dome and then a few minutes directly on grill with sauce. My guess is another hour would have made them perfect. However, I wasn't sure what happens if I overcook? It they just keep getting more tender then I suppose you can't overcook. EDIT: These were babybacks if that makes a difference.

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    over cooked ribs dry out and get tough and chewy. If you do want to test with a Thermapen then the rule of thumb is the meat between the ribs should be about 196°.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    skihorn,

Sometimes they take a little longer. I don't foil and back ribs often take about six hours. You may want to look at your dome thermaometer as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09148a.jpg

Sure you can overcook them. Your goal is to cook fatty meat long enough for most of the collagen to turn to gelatin, and low enough that the contraction of the meat won't squeeze out all of the liquid. If you cook too long or too high you have just have the cooked meat fibers left. Even if it's swimming in juice it won't re-absorb any.

Were your ribs meat side up or down in the foil? Meat down keeps them much moister.

DSC09694b.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks for the help. The ribs were actually standing on end in the apple juice pan as there were three racks. That was the suggestion of the recipe. Would it be better to stack them flat in the pan.

BTW, these were very good. Just trying to reach perfection.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks RRP. I may try the thermopen next time just for grins.

Freddie
  • skihorn
    Options
    Little Steven: Thanks for the reply. I should have said that I had just calibrated my dome temp (first time I had ever done and it had been off by 30 degrees!) so that wasn't an issue.

Don't get me wrong. The ribs were good. Just always trying to improve. Pre-Egg I never cooked ribs and I hadn't eaten them very often so I am definitely inexperienced.

Freddie
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Did you mean they were on edge during the first 3 hours of the cook? Like in a rib rack or something.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thirdeye: Yes, they were in a rib rack for the first part (on edge) and similarly for the pan/foil stage also. For the latter there was no rib rack. They just supported each other. The recipe says to stand them on end (I assume they mean on edge) if needed for space.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I too cooked using the same method on Saturday. My ribs were not as done as I would have liked them (tender). There were very good but needed more time. Even at 325 I probably should have cooked them another hour. But as you said, they were good and people enjoyed them, that is what counts. But also, I want to do better and improve.