Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks to Food Saver, Copper River salmon and Gretl

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I thawed a Copper River salmon filet that was about 1 1/2" thick. It had been in a Food Saver bag for 10 months, but was as fresh as the day I sealed it. (Mark your calendars for May, folks, and try Copper River salmon this year if you haven't before...or do like I do and buy a bunch and freeze it for year around enjoyment.) [p]I then loosely followed Gretl's Salmon with Dijon Bourbon Glaze recipe (see below). My twist since I didn't have fresh dill was to use dillweed and since this was a filet I marinaded it in the sauce in a plastic bag for an hour. Also I scattered a T of tarragon in the drip pan and poured in boiling water so the water was already up to temp when the cook started. The arroma of tarragon is wonderful. I used maple chips for smoke.[p]After a mere 40 minutes at 350 the glaze had a nice dark sheen to it so off it came. WOW was that good salmon!!! [p]
[ul][li]Gretl's recipe[/ul]
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    RRP,
    Any thoughts on a good way to get copper river salmon here in NC? Best web site or something? Maybe a few of us can share an order and get a break on shipping.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, not real sure as it is from Washington, but I know it is available in New York state markets for about the same price that I pay here in Illinois. The slabs run 13.99 and filets 14.99. There is a whole Copper River Salmon association and I bet you could find a fish packing house on the net which will ship it. The C/R salmon run is in May and it's only available for a matter of a couple weeks as the take is regulated. It really is terrific fish - granted it is costly but the richness is worth it as it is a fish to savor.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    RRP,
    I found one place that was something like $20 a pound with a 5 pound minimum? That was for King Salmon. Sockeye was something like $14 a pound?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, ouch! The 13.99 and 14.99 I quoted is for King and the sockeye here is 9.99 and 10.99. OTOH you probably get lobster a lot cheaper in NC than I do. I guess our "cheap" corn fed beef balance out the cost of food...