Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never cooked a turkey on my egg and a friend of mine wants to cook an 11 pounder on his large. He would be cooking it direct. What cooking temp and what kind of time frame should he expect ? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mitch,[p]I do mine at 350 (just like an oven) but indirect with a platestter... I put my pan with chopped veggies on the grate on top of the plate setter and then my turkey in the pan to catch the juices and make some gravy post cook. If you want the skin to brown rub it down with a little oil.... I think about 15 to 20 min per pound... I cook them until the breast meat registers 163 (allowing for a few degrees of carry over to get you to your final thermal destination of 165)[p]Egg'd turkey is great stuff![p]Enjoy, [p]Brian

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Mitch, I would cook this indirect also. Put a pizza stone, plate setter, or a pan on a lower grid below the bird to deflect the heat. Otherwise, the turkey will char where it faces the fire.The breast will dry out rapidly over a temperature of 160 degrees, so I would follow Nardi's instructions and remove when the breast is 160. Let it rest wrapped in foil. YUMMY

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Mitch,[p]I just did one a few weeks ago that turned out fantastic. Setup was indirect with platesetter, drip pan and v-rack. Temps 325°-350° and our 20lb brined bird took about 5 hrs.[p]maple-brined-turkey.jpg[p]Have fun!
    Tonia
    :~)[p]

[ul][li]Maple Brined Turkey Post[/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Mitch,
    I agree with everyone else...indirect at 350*. I use 10-12 mins per pound as an estimate. Like others, I use an inverted plate setter with a drip pan. I do not use the v-rack as I found when I did it, the turky molded itself to the rack and wouldn't lay flat to carve. I put mine directly on the grill over the pan.