Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking ideas for a chef with 1 arm?

JalopyBob
JalopyBob Posts: 175
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For the next 2 months, I have only the use of my left arm. The right one is broken, casted, and completely not mobile at all. Damn snow covered ice. So I can get my small lit OK on my own. But I can not use a knife at all, so if I cook a steak or a chicken breast I have to eat like a caveman with one hand. I can use ground meats, and pretty much anything that does not require the use of a knife or a can opener. Burgers and hot dogs are easy, but boring. So what would you egg with the use of 1 arm?

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    FYI...........cook 2 steaks and invite a friend
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Butt might work. Especially if you pull it while it's still stuck to the grid.

Good luck. BTDT. Not fun - especially showers!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I was one winged 18 months ago due to rotator cuff surgery. Pizza was a staple for a while, but also went through many bags of frozen chili and ham and bean soup made in advance in anticipation.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    My good friend Bob.....the ultimate love test.....Ask your Wife to Cook...... :laugh:
  • Bob, sorry to hear about your accident.

Chicken legs would be a good choice. Dust them with a good rub like Ragin River and away you go. You could also do lamb or pork chops and carnivor style.

Good luck.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    So sorry to hear about your arm!

Fish should be do-able.

Soups and stews and chili if the proteins are already cut or ground and you have the kind of DO with the loop handle. I saw bags of frozen mirepoix (regular and Louisiana-style) at our Kroger, along with other "recipe starter" veggies already pre-cut which would make it a lot easier, including onions, bell peppers, etc.

Chicken wings.

Meatballs and/or sausages for subs/hoagies/wedges - whatever you call them where you live.

Meatloaf if cooked in the loaf pan or if someone helps put it on the Egg (or you make one-hand-able mini loaves).
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • JalopyBob
    JalopyBob Posts: 175
    Thanks for the humor and the ideas!