Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham challenged!

Options
Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having a difficult time understanding the best type of ham to Egg. What I can find locally are fully cooked hams that only require glazing and heating. Dry cured/uncooked hams are available through the internet or mail order, but shipping is pretty hefty. What type of ham do most of you Egg? If it's pre-cooked, what's the advantage of warming it up in the BGE? [p]

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Try this recipe, Bob. It is worth every bit of effort. You won't do a ham any other way once you try it! Sure wish the good doctor would post here more often.[p]Jim
    [ul][li]Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BamaBob,
    i too plan on doing my first ham on the egg this sunday (yep, brisket last weekend for passover, ham this weekend for easter . . that's what happens when the good jewish boy marries the good baptist girl!). . .anyway, i've been studying that dr chicken recipe and definitely plan on doing at least a variation on that theme (may use a heavy dose of dijon mustard as we have always liked that on our ovened easter hams). . . and like you, i will almost definitely be buying a pre-cooked ham as that is what is easy to buy around here. . .. [p]good luck. .. .we can compare pics on monday. .. .[p]max

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Thanks, sounds like a good dose of smoke and a great glaze changes everything, even if it is pre-cooked. Guess that only makes sense when I recall how much better Egged hot dogs tasted over the generic grilled type.
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    I second Jim's recomendation. Every time I have served one ppl say it is the best they have had. FYI I start w/ a Cooks brand shank portion. They run that brand on special out here often. The little store in the berg just to the east is running them at $.79/lb this week.
    Jim I talked to Dave last week. He's super busy but he did reveal he is working on a pecan crusted pork loin thing. No details he is just teasing me so far.
    Dan

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    JSlot,
    That is an excellent ham recipe. I've done it twice and it is a hit all the away around.