Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NoVA Bill / Wok ring (spider?) for Medium

Options
James MB
James MB Posts: 359
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Before Christmas I had a discussion with Tom at ceramic grill store about dimensions for a wok ring for my med. I thought it would be more sensible to make one here in the UK but that he would know what worked and what didn't.

I have a 12" flat bottomed wok for using on my electric stove (though I guess I've used it more on my Weber charcoal chimney!) but it has a panhandle. I thought I'd get a 12" round bottomed cheapy somewhere when I come across one but Tom seemed to think 14" was the way to go.

So onto the main question - there are two basic dimensions to play with - the diameter of the inner ring and the offset of the "legs"

What have you found good? and does the offset mean you can use it as a spider?

Please remember that this is for a medium.
I'm thinking of using a 1 or 2" offset and then use a ring size that lowers the wok base half way into the fire ring. That way I thought I'd be able to use it as a blackening spider too - thoughts?

NoVA Bill - I understand you wok on your med - what is good for you?

Comments

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    James,

Here's what Tom made for me - wouldn't call it a spider per se because it doesn't extended down into the egg rather sits at the fire ring level and is one deminsional, i.e., holds the wok. The wok ring is 11 inches in dia. with the tabs extending into dimples on the fire ring - no offset.
    IMG00040-1.jpg
    Here's how the 14 inch wok sits in the med.
    IMG00360.jpg
    IMG00300.jpg
    IMG00298.jpg
    IMG00303.jpg

I recommend the carbon steel pounded 14 inch wok with rounded bottom and the set up, i.e., a Wok ring, as designed by Tom because it's stable and it woks... I'm mean works :) .

Hope this helps and I sure you'll get more input from some of the more experienced medium eggers, there are a few of us on the forum.

Cheers!
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    Thanks, that's really useful info. Iwas thinking of a smaller ring and an offset but yours looks more user friendly! If it works for you that's what I'l go for.
    The photos look good.