Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speaking of Healthy Fish...here's one.

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
From the Salmon post, there was a mention of its being healthy. I know that salmon is considered a fatty fish (Mary, you'll probably have more specific info here!) but is high in Omega 3 fatty acid, the good stuff that helps lower cholesterol.[p]I have since discovered a fabulous fish that's very healthy; yellowfin tuna. The two types I'm able to get are fresh at about 10 bucks/lb or thawed at about 7/lb. I actually prefer the thawed. I checked on the Web to find nutrition information and discovered that for a 3 1/2 oz portion, it's 108 calories and only 1 gram of fat. It's gorgeous red color and texture are similar to fine fillet of beef. And no fishy taste, for you folks who don't like fish.[p]The way I prepare it is so quick, but I haven't done it yet on the Egg. I get a skillet very hot, cover all surfaces of a fillet with cracked black pepper, and sear it on all sides. Period. Nice and rare in the middle, sliced thin, and served with wasabi/soy/ginger dipping sauce. It's great. On the Egg, I'd prepare the same way, seared direct over hot coals.[p]Cheers,
Gretl[p]

Comments

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    Gretl,[p]I've done the tuna steaks on the egg. They are yummy. I'll get lazy and just pour on some good garlicky salad dressing of one sort or another. That's even good. Salmon is still my favorite. I prefer the frozen because I don't trust the fish markets around here. My rule is if it smells at all fishy, it ain't fresh. Since they freeeze it ont he boats, I'd rather have a fish that stayed frozen, but too many stores thaw it and sometimes leave it out for days - yuck.[p]Mary