Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need advice on a sirloin roast

rose
rose Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 10 lb beef sirloin roast and would like some tips to cook a tender roast. I know I need to have it med Rare. But what should I do as far as marinade or brine ?? not to sure I always cook pork. Any help?
Thanks Rose

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Rose,
    my fav. piece of meat........I usually just rub really good then cook at 375° until I reach 150° internal, let rest and its usually between med. rare and medium. You could inject some Cajun Power Garlic Sauce if you have access to it.

• Rose,
    I also do them oftem and here is whay we do, I only take them to 127 to 130º internal:[p]
    I will normally rub with seasoned salt and course cracked pepper after about 45 minutes in the cooker start mopping every 45 mins to one hour.
    Here is a recipe for a mop:
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 tablespoons hot red chili powder
    2 tablespoons mild red chili powder
    1 onion finely chopped
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    14 ounces tomato puree
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1/2 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup bourbon [p]
    Place the oil in a large, non reactive saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and continue cooking for about another 30 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent sauce from burning. Allow to rest for at least an hour before using. This is a marinating or basting sauce. To marinate, coat the meat with the sauce and leave in the refrigerator, covered, over night, or about 8 to 12 hours. Continue to baste with the sauce as the meat cooks. It's NOT a table sauce, but works best when cooked into the meat. Best with pork or beef. Makes about 2 cups.
    You may want to double the recipe.[p]You should have a good smokering and still get a nice rare to med rare finish in the center.[p]You do slice across the grain and you can cut it as thin or thick as you like.[p]Beef prices are up right now so that isn't a bad price, you can expect lower prices under normal circumstances.[p]Jim
    PS: A horseradish sauce is called for with this cut.[p]1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 Tbsp drained capers
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp of liquid from capers
    Horseradish to taste
    chop up capers and blend all ingredients well, chill.