Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

After all that I think I should name them

Options
WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Tuesday I began activating my yeast culture. I placed it in a jar with a cup of flour and 3/4 cup water. 24 hours later I fed it, 12 hours later I fed it and split it, now I have two! 12 hours later I fed it and discarded all but a cup in each jar. This has gone on and on and on.

This morning I fed the kids and was really discouraged because they aren't growing, I was starting to think I had killed it. But I fed them and placed them back under the proofing box. This afternoon I went down to check and they're doing it! Just like the book said they would!!!!!

So I will place them in the fridge and having a living culture in there! Seems like I should name them. Any ideas?

After last nights bedtime feeding
IMG00401.jpg

Comments

• Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    How about Marsh and Mellow?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I want that recipe please!!
    Thanks!! glad there as activity!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Staci,

That is too cool. Love it. Can't wait to see what you'll make with them.

Marsh & Mellow, that is funny. I have a friend trying to name her 2 kitten brother's, I will suggest those names!

Teresa
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    I give information if I can get some. :whistle:

You're pizza tossing pics look like the type of crust I started this whole dang adventure for. I'm trying for a kind of chewy crust. Not cracker-like. Along the lines of that wonderful Artisan baguette I get at the store. What was your crust like and what was the recipe? :blush:

I ordered yeast culture from http://www.sourdo.com

I think they only mail on Monday's for something like that. It came with detailed directions on how to activate and maintain it. I even recruited my uncle to help me wire up my proofing box (that was easier than I thought it was gonna be).

It's a sourdough yeast culture, there are several to choose from, I chose San Fran. Apparently you can control the sourness (is that a word?) by controlling its proofing temp.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :) glad they decided to "respond"!

Molly used a "secret recipe" from her boss. It handled real well. The crust tasted a bit "short" but that may have been due to the (shh, don't let Loco_Engr or Mikey hear), um, lump issues (again at Molly's :blush: )...couldn't get temp over 300-ish ---
    but then she figured out it was the old Wicked Good that now neither of us like :angry:

So, can't really say how we liked the crust recipe since it didn't get hit with the high heat :blink:

But it sure handled well and that's half the battle B)
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Staci, I'll get back to you. Gotta clean house first..cough cough KARI!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I want it to be known NOW, I had nothing to do with this. This family just bullied themselves in my house and held me hostage.
    Great food though!!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Options
    u got mail
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    Email isn't here yet, but I can't wait. Thanks in advance for whatever tips you have to offer.

I'm a little embarrassed to say that my initial thought was to ask if you're going to Florida in March. Then I had images of TSA cuffing me because they didn't believe that the jar full of white lumpy liquid stuff was harmless. Mental headslap!
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Then I had images of TSA cuffing me because they didn't believe that the jar full of white lumpy liquid stuff was harmless. Mental headslap![/quote

ROFLMAO :lol:

you and Spring Chicken together would be too much :woohoo:
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    Got it, thanks! I hope to try it this week for pies next weekend.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Well, get visions in your head of me..little ole' me going to Minesoooota :laugh: for the mini ice fest. Don't know what I'm thinking. B)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :whistle: what's the TSA gonna say about Cookin biker bringing back a suitcase full of dead/frozen fish ???? :laugh:
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    They'll supply her with a single pint size ziploc bag to place all her fish in.
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    I need to make a decision about this Minnesota thing. Intially I thought maybe I'd try to bring my sister and her daughter...then thought maybe not a family deal. Then my sister has been under the weather for awhile so may be a moot point. I dunno.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    UNNHHH it's right there on the counter. Make a third and call them Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. Glad to help. :silly:
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Glad you liked it. :P
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    There is nothing like a good recipe bread...and nothing more demanding of your time to maintain either...it's why I usually make ONE batch and then quit for a couple of years until I get a starter from someone else again. I'll stick to buying my bread.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Toss the book...don't feed the starter till you see some
    hooch.. Most people over feed their starter not allowing the yeast to eat till there is nothing left.

This will make your yeasty beasts thrive! It will also allow for the stronger stain to take over.

Learn to dry your starter so that you can always have some ....

learn how to store it.. revive it ...

If you need any help email me! I know a lot of people who love to bake and what forums they are on!