Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken on the VCR - Small Egg

Options
Lanier Jim
Lanier Jim Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well - I didn't fire up Scrappy because Scooby was hungry. So - did a Whole Chicken on a VCR using GrateMates Ring and drip pan...well, 2 drip pans like a dummy. Seasoned with some BGE Garlic and Pepper rub...that stuff is pretty good.

Got temp to hold at 350...in windy 16 degree weather (wind chill had to be below 10) - and Scooby started eating.
WholeVCRChicken1.jpg

Scooby ate for 30 minutes and then opened his mouth to burp. Here's what I saw
WholeVCRChicken2.jpg

Didn't get any pics when we pulled the bird off after 1:15 - but it was beautiful. Entire family agreed - Scooby is one bad boy and the bird was great. Very crispy skin and very moist meat.

I'm doing a long cook tomorrow on Scooby with a 7# boston butt - getting up at 6:30am to get it started. Looking at 10hrs...hey, should I fill lump up about mid way up fire ring?

While Schooby goes long - Scrappy is doing dogs and burgers for lunch. Wish me luck - if "Da Butt" doesn't turn out right - Capt. D's is 10 minutes up road :laugh:

LJ

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Can't keep track of the names and sizes of your eggs.

Nevertheless, fill the lump to at least the top of the fire ring unless you to take a chance of having to reload the lump during the cook.

GG
  • Lanier Jim
    Options
    Thanks GG - maybe this will help you...

Scooby Do - Small Egg
    Scrappy Do - Mini Egg
    Shaggy - Weber Gasser
    Jimmy - DumbA$$ Poor Boy :blink:

LJ
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

It isn't your names, it's my memory. :)

GG
  • Lanier Jim
    Options
    Hey - I'm catching you on that one...I forget my wifes name everytime she gives me the look! :laugh: Dang - I hate that look...
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Nice job on the chicken Jim! Good luck on the butt, I'm sure it will turn out great. I would fill with lump to the top of the fire ring. You may run short going half way.
    Did you ever decide on what stand to go with for your mini?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Jimmy did you get in your Woo for Scrappy Do?
    Also, you have to try chicken spatchcocked. I do it only that way in my small or large and see pictures of Julie doing spatched in her mini.
    Yours looks good as well but, you do the spatchcocked direct and higher in the dome.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    LJ, I got my eye on a small to keep my large company. Those pics really make the small look BIG. Seems like you can fit a good amount of food on the small.

Oh and the chix looks very good too. :)

Mahalo
    Bryan