Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

just smokin

Options
glenn
glenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started my much needed week of vacation today and intend to spen a lot of quality time with the other love in my life::: my lage bge;)
Did pizz as tonight and posted the results earlier
Tomorrow it is going to be my first attemt at Baby back ribs
(I always do spare ribs cause they are a bunch cheaper in my neck of the woods-> 1.49 a pound compaired to 5.99 a pound for babies
but today I found a deal at winn-dixie buy 1 get 2 free at 5.99 per pound.
The math says that made em about $2.00 a pound and I couldnt pass em up.
So just for fun I soaked a rack in cider vinegar for about 30 minutes
rubbed em down with worstershire sause and sprinkled em heavy with dizzy pig. The set up is indirect, inverted plate setter (legs up) with a drip pan between the legs the ribs are laying bone side own on the cooking grate. The dome is steady at 199 and Im using a big chunk of pecan for smoke wood. Do I need to add a beer to the drip pan or baste??or is there anything else that I need to do??
I am just doing a practice run tonight to make sure that my method is right. I will cook the other 4 racks tomorrow
thanx
Glenn

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Glenn,[p]I don't usually add anything to the drip pan, but often use liquids in a spray bottle to mist with throughout the cook. [p]These were spares, St. Louis cut...[p]ribs-pixie-dust-on-cooker.jpg[p]ribs-pixie-dust-served.jpg[p]ribs-pixie-dust-sliced.jpg[p]Tonia
    :~)

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    QBabe,
    Well I tasted my first baby backs and they are pretty fair
    maybe a little too much smoke but pretty good
    cooked em over the inverted plate setter drip pan with no liquid, bone side down on the grate. cooked at 199-216 for 4 hours misting with a mixture of Jack Daniels and apple juice every thirty minutes after the first hour
    finished them with sweet baby rays original bbq sauce
    brushed on heavy for the last hour brushing on more sauce and turning evey 15 minutes.
    pulled off the smoker and wrapped in foil,
    had to put em in the fridge till this morning 'cause I got sleepy and went to bed.
    they are tender but not fall off the bone, just the way I like em, not quite spicy enough, so next time maybe I will use a little swamp venom to go with the dizzy dust, and I will definitely cut back on the smoke a little {used a dry pecan log about 5" dia and a foot long and it smoked for the entire 4 hours and there is still about half of it left in the fire box.) bought a 50 lb bag o pecan logs for $20.oo
    My biggest question since I want to produce real good ribs today is what is a realy good marinade that will work well in about 2 hours .Im not sure if the cider vinegar that I used last night is the best way to go. but it was simple and quick.
    Thanx for you help
    Glenn

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Glenn,[p]Can't help you there, since I don't use a marinade but instead use a rub, wrap in saran wrap and put in the fridge the night before I plan to cook them...sorry...[p]Tonia
    :~)