Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filets stuffed w bleu cheese

Options
markthewood
markthewood Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fellow Eggers,[p]Has anyone stuffed a Filet or even a NY Strip w/ bleu cheese? If so, please let me know how you did it.[p]Thanks in advance[p]

Comments

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    markthewood,[p]
    I do.[p]I posted this recipe a few times, but somehow, it never got posted. (to be fair, I modified it from a recipe I saw on TV)[p]Take a Whole Tenderloin, and trim off all the Silver, chain, and fat.[p]take a Long Knife, and make a hole, all the way through it.[p]Take Fresh Spinach (sp?), Fresh Mushrooms, Garlic, and FETA Cheese (you can use Blue if you like), and stuff it all into the tenderloin.[p]cook it up to about 120 or however you like your steak. I normally like mine rare.[p]Enjoy.[p]-James

• James
    Options
    James,[p]
    I just realized my first sentance didn't make sense. I posted it to the Recipe section, but something went wrong and it didn't make it up there. Perhaps I'm just delirious (sp?) from cooking on a BGE for the first time in several years...[p]-James

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    James, the recipe section is self-posting so I'm not sure what went wrong. I do have a couple of questions though. How big a tenderloin? Also, what do you mean by chain? How much spinach, mushrooms and cheese? Whole spinach leaves or chopped? Whole mushrooms or sliced or chopped? What was the grill temp? Cooked indirect or direct?
    I know this may sound anal but a lot of folks really need all the details to get the courage to try to replicate your excellent results. BTW, I did a similar cook at EGGtoberfest with venison and it was delicious.[p]I'll be glad to post this with your name if you can fill in the gaps for me. Thanks.

• James
    Options
    Wise One,[p]
    Yes, all good questions. I posted that hastily.[p]I usually use the entire tenderloing, but you could do half a one as well.[p]The chain is a part of the tenderloing that kind of hangs on to the side of the tenderloin, it connect every couple of inches or so. It's hard to explain without pictures. There may be another name for it. I trim everything except for the centermost part of the tenderloin. (The trimmings make great ground Beef, except for the silver) [p]
    Mix the whole fresh spinach, sliced muchrooms, Feta Cheese by hand, and cram as much of that mixture that you can fit into the tenderloin without making the tenderloin explode.[p]I cooked it in an aluminum pan once, and on a pizza stone once, to deflect the heat, but I don't think it was necessary. I cooked it at a dome temp of 300.[p]I cooked it up to about medium rare and used a polder to monitor the temperature.[p]The next time I do it, I'll take notes, and try to write up a more thorough recipe.[p]Regards,
    -james[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    James, sounds delicious. Next time, do take not eof some measurements. It may not be a big deal and folks will figure it out once they try it, but knowing the amounts ahead of time makes it easier.