Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Dog Questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Australian Shepherds and Blue Ticks are both high strung dogs, The former can be destructive if left on its own. I had one tear up a couch on my before I got home.

If you want a dog the size of Australian Shepherd and you like the Blue Ticks coloring I suggest you look into the Shetland Sheepdog AKA Sheltie. Specially the Blue Merle. While Sheltie's are working dogs in the herding class they adapt very well to the exact environment you describe. Plus they would be very happy to chase you around a park, or after you through the woods.
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Hi GoonSlapper I was just thinking that maybe you could talk to the SPCA or rescue organization to see if there is a doggy day care facility in your area or maybe there would be one in your local news paper under the pets section.
    Doggy day care’s are becoming quite popular for people who are at work for extended periods of time whereas like with a child you would drop your dog off on the way to work and pick em up on the way home.
    Or maybe a neighbor would be interested in taking the dog in the day time while you were at work? It would be a bit of extra cash for them and your dog would have someone with it all day, go for walks Etc…
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    What are you referring to as a blue tick?

Goon slapper mentioned blue heeler, which are also called Australian cattle dogs. A blue tick hound is a completely different dog, it's a scent hound similar to a red bone and has a completely different look, disposition and nature than a blue heeler or cattle dog.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I don't know those breeds, I have a golden retriever.

In terms of boarding, I made a good contact in my groomer, who recommended a friend in the business where she keeps her dogs.

Try to use vendors who have their own pets, as opposed to some of the larger chains, and they will steer you in the right direction.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Look at a Catahoula Leopard Cur. Awesome dogs.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Well actually GoonSlapper was referring to a Blue Heeler.

But this is a Blue Tick

and this is the Blue Merle Sheltie
  • Angela
    Options
    I know, I said he was referring to a blue heeler. Which also goes by the name australian cattle dog and queensland heeler. My best friend has owned 2 of them. I had a blue tick coonhound myself before.

I just couldn't tell which you were referring to for sure, so that is why I asked.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    GoonSlapper,

I've been watching this post all day. Bottom line is any dog will adjust to your life that is the way they are. I couldn't imagine not having one.
    Mutts are best and you could probably pull one from euthanisation.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Angela
    Options
    I'm going to respectfully disagree. Dogs come with a ton of natural instinct. You aren't going to get a couch potato out of a scent hound unless they are disabled or really old. Some breeds of dog have a much higher prey drive than others. That doesn't just go away because you plopped them in your house.

It is really important to choose a dog that fits in with your lifestyle. A marathon runner who wants a dog to go with them shouldn't choose a teacup poodle or a pug.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    First off- if you posted this in the OT forum I don't think you would've received anywhere near as much response. I'm fine with these posted here- that's why the "OT" in the title.

You probably haven't had a dog in your adult life yet, so you need to know a couple things (which I believe I've already read in previous posts). You must be realistic or neither you nor the dog will be happy. If there's a chance he could wind up back at the pound because he doesn't fit your lifestyle, then seriously don't bother.

It's good that you are rescuing a dog, but I've never heard of thoughrobred dogs being available at pounds or ASPCA, but sometimes there are breed-specific rescue organizations (Like retired greyhounds). Expect a mixed breed of guesstimated origin.

If you are gone 9-10 hours a day you shouldn't get a puppy (get a more mature dog).

Sounds like you basically have a paved back yard, which is no good for a dog. You're in Texas, that patio must get a bit hot in the daytime, especially for a critter with fur.

You can't get a dog that will run with you while you're biking, period. You can get a dog that you can run with, but not that sits around in the house for 9 or 10 hours a day.

For a home such as yours, you need to either get a cat (I'm serious, nothing wrong with cats), a small "lap" dog, or rescue an older dog that's already housebroken. None of those allow for the option of taking them running.

We had a springer spaniel who we "rescued" from a former neighbor when the cute little puppy turned into a dog and the kids lost interest. Great dog but the poor guy couldn't keep up with me running distances. better at multiple short bursts of speed. Loved outdoors and was great on hikes (Long hikes, mountains, etc.). We had a large backyard that he stayed out in while we were at work (when he was young). When we got home we would walk him a minimum of 3 miles a day, on weekends, more (we had no kids at the time). when it was raining too hard for me, I would drive him to a nearby cemetary, let him out and he was gone like a shot! I would drive around the cemetary until he was tired, (he often exceeded 30 mph) which was usually more than a mile but considerably less than 3. Then he'd get back in the car with a big dog-smile on his face and we'd go home. Loved going for car rides, swimming, canoeing, you name it! I miss him.

I knew a carpenter who had a dog that climbed ladders.
    I've seen a guy windsurfing with a small dog on the board with him.

Dogs are definitely a great addition to the family. Be flexible and don't have too many preconceived notions go into it with that kind of attitude and you should do fine.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i wouldnt say dont get one, just know what your getting into. ;) talk to the rescue places, each dog is different, some are quiet, some noisy and giddy etc, they may have one in the breed you want that may work out well and not all herding dogs are high strung, my german shepard was the complete opposite of high strung. my brothers sheepdog is a great dog, loves kids, isnt tied or penned and stays in the yard on his own, just nonstop with balls, sticks, rocks etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it