Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help; Ribeye or NY Strip

Options
PackerFan
PackerFan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]I cooked my first steak last week using the TREX method. They were awesome. I am having company over for steak tommorrow night for steak and want to try this again. My local butcher has Ribeye on sale thru today. Tommorrow the NY Strip will be on sale for same price. I did Ribeye last week cut 1.75" and they were good.[p]Do you get Ribeye tonight and cook them tommorrow or wait and pick up a couple fresh NY Strips tommorrow night? [p]I noticed in the TREX method that he used strip. Is it better than ribeye for this method of cooking?[p]Thanks,
Kenny

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    It's your choice. NY strips are my favorite cut but lots of folks prefer ribeyes. The ribeyes are fattier and thus have a slightly different flavor. Do both and find the ones you prefer! Of course, a nice porterhouse would solve your problem![p]Jim
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    PackerFan,
    i've done rib eyes, strips and tenderloins. .. we prefer the taste and texture of the strips best of all. . .personal choice, but they are good. . .i buy whole top loins at price club and cut them myself into two inch thick steaks. . .rubbed with olive oil, kosher salt and dizzy pig cowlick (or ground pepper if you don't have cowlick), 2 minutes per side at nuclear temps. ..pulled for 20 minutes while you get down to 400 degrees, then about 6 minutes per side for medium rare (remember, these are 2 inch thick). . .[p]LinkPhoto?GUID=2f1d5a4b-3774-2c36-333b-175f15a910eb&size=lg

here they are nuking[p]LinkPhoto?GUID=4c24312e-1c48-7141-5aab-65944a136819&size=lg
    [p]and here is picture from a different cook of strips in dwell mode, along with some skewered shrimp rubbed with olive oil, old bay and dizzy tsunami spin. .. [p]yummy

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    PackerFan,[p]I did two huge Sirloins Sunday night ala TRex after rubbing with olive oil and McCormicks Monteray steak seasoning. I tossed on some Jack Daniels chips right before the sear.[p]1 minute sear each side at 800, 15 minute rest, 4 minutes a side at 400, and they turned out a perfect medium![p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    yea, i forgot to mention the jack daniels chips. . .i always use them when doing trex. ... good stuff!

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    PackerFan,[p]Why not buy both?
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    PackerFan,[p]In my humble opinion, NY Strips are the best marriage of flavor and tenderness that you can get for the price. Ribeye will be fattier (and, thus, possibly have more - or "different" - flavor) but generally less tender. Filet mignon will be more tender but has less flavor because it is so lean a cut of meat. In fact, many restaurant serve filets with flavored butter melted on top. You also can't go wrong with a porterhouse. But NY Strips are certainly my personal favorite, and they seem to "gel" the best with the sear and rest approach.[p]If it were me, though, with beef prices the way they are these days, I'd take advantage of both sales and buy both cuts, and give my guests the opportunity to choose their preference.[p]Either way, you can't go wrong. Have fun and enjoy![p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Really? I've never used Jack Daniels chips. Of course I just have to try them now on a steak or two or three. [p]Sounds like a good excuse to head to the grocery store . . . [p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    Now that I think about it, this sounds like the perfect opportunity for a side-by-side comparison.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TRex,
    i use the jack daniels chips for everything beef. .. burgers, steaks, meatloaf. . they are great. . .[p]for trex efforts, i put a hand full in right as the temps go nukelear to aid in the sear, and then i might also throw a handful in about 5 minutes before the dwell if i really want a smoke infused steak (although, i think our preference has become to do it during the sear). . .. like anything else we do, you have to try it a couple of ways to get the taste you like best. ...

• PackerFan
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]The ribeyes I egged last week I rubbed with Cow Lick only. What is advantage to kosher salt and olive oil?[p]Kenny[p]
  • PackerFan
    Options
    TRex,[p]Thanks to all for the advice. Thanks to you TRex for the method. The hardest part of your method is the 20 minutes the steaks sat in the kitchen. Smelt real tasty and those beautiful sear marks made me want to dive in.[p]Kenny[p]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    PackerFan,
    I personally like the marbling in ribeyes. I've gooten away from KC strips and gone filets or ribeyes. If your guests are like mine. You can cook a steak better than any steak house around. Plus the company is usually better in home.[p]CWM

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    TRex,
    When I do the NY's I usually cut that grissel off the side before cooking. Real nasty stuff, same for the porterhouse. Where as the ribye doesthave it nor does the filet. Its a toss-up. But then there is the flank steak....????

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    PackerFan,
    Man, I dunno... you have me thinking now...[p]I always went with the Ribeye just because I thought the fat helped it cook.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    steaks.jpg
    <p />GrillMeister,
    Yes. Sirloins. Sir Loins. Yum. TRex mentions the NY Strip being the best marriage of flavor and tenderness.....but a good chunk of top sirloin is loaded with even more flavor. Not near as tender as a Strip, but more flavor fo sho....and if'n you cut thin against the grain, you gots some mighty fine eatin.[p]Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Nature Boy, I 2nd that!

• TRex
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Now you've got me wanting to try sirloins again. Man, I may just go broke this weekend buying steak. Great pictures, Chris.[p]TRex
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    PackerFan,
    simply a matter of taste. . .although some say that putting on salt prior to cooking draws out juices and that you shouldn't apply salt until right as you put the meat on. . .but i don't think a half hour or so hurts anything. . .[p]other things i've been known to do do is apply some pads of butter when i turn the steaks during the dwell. ..i do this more with tenderloins than sirloins though. . .adds some flavor. . .