Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sparks like the 4th of July

Options
Scott in Seattle
Scott in Seattle Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Over the last couple of months I’ve had some cooks with a really unusual amount of sparking. I’ve been using WG Weekend Warrior – normally, swear by it -- but it’s been absolutely showering the inside of my egg. And, it tends to be a pretty gritty ash. Used two different bags of WG just in case it was a particular piece of lump or bag.
Some of the sparks will settle down with burn time, but not to the point where I trust a good piece of beef on the fire.
I'm in Seattle and I thought I recently saw some ideas about moisture creeping in to the lump. I sure don't want to give up on WG.
I’ve been to the Wiz’s lump data base and searched the forum – anybody have a similar experience or thoughts?

Scott
scott

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Scott,

I have had the same eggsperience with WG. Normally use Maple Leaf and get no sparks at all. WG is very dense and lasts a long time but you need to get a clean burn before putting food on.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    Where is it made? In my experience anything other than north American hardwood sparks like that.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    I save my Argentinian lumps for overnight pp cooks because they are dense and last long but spark at higher temp. USe ML for everything else.
    canuckland
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi Scott,

Some friends and I ordered a pallet of WG at the end of Nov. I ended up w/15 22# bags of which I've used several I did notice sparking when I was using my MAPP to light it up, though nothing after that.. Used in low, med and high temps and no problems. Since I just got my MAPP for christmas, I'm not sure the cause of sparking was the MAPP or the lump.

To me WG is great stuff and I intend to stick with it.

One thing I did notice on the WG pallet was that the bags are now made from some kind of polypropeline (e.g. like those reusable bags you get from the grocery)rather than the kraft paper it used to come in.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Haven't used, nor can I get WG...But I want to give it a try.
    What I can add here though, is that it seems no matter the brand (Royal Oak, BGE, Cowboy) of lump I use, I ALWAYS get some good sparking when I light it with a torch.
    Once I have a good fire, I haven't noticed much sparking on any of it.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    When I reviewed WGC Weekend Warrior at the end of 2005, the woods used to make the charcoal came from Uruguay, Paraguay & Brazil. There are a whole array of species of woods used in S.A. for making charcoal and they vary widely on their properties. The very first S.A. charcoal I tested came from Brazil and was a blend of 5 different species. Four of the species didn't spark, one of them was like lighting a whole bag of sparklers at all once. That blend never made it to market. The manufacturer redid their recipe to include much less of the offending species and the charcoal then did spark a little but nothing out of the ordinary. So, it all depends.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I'd call WGC and let them know what you have experienced. Lee and Larry are absolute top notch people who will try to help you.
    The Naked Whiz
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Odd. I picked up a pallet of WGC at the end of the summer, and I've had no sparking other than when lighting. It's been great stuff overall. I guess, like the Whiz said, it probably depends on the batch.

-John
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    I got in on a group buy of WG last spring here in Oklahoma and have not experienced any sparking with it, the only sparking I have ever exeprienced is when I've used my MAPP torch to light....can't wait to get some more WG
  • Scott in Seattle
    Options
    Thanks for the words, everyone. Like others, I've never experienced the sparking with WG until these last few cooks. It's been top notch stuff for me. Wiz-- thanks for your input, when ya got a problem, go to the source.
    scott