Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock chicken is NO JOKE (THE BEST)

Options
SmokinSoCal
SmokinSoCal Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry, I am a newb and have done 7 cooks since Dec 20th. I just had to say for anyone just getting started this is by far the best chicken you will ever have.

Loaded up with Butt Rub and cooked a 375 for 1 hour.

Thanks BGE you have changed our lives!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    it only gets better from here!!!

next time bring some photos ;)

welcome to the forum

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You are so right. It took me 2 years before I tried one. This is most definatly a great newb cook!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    No doubt, I've only had my egg since May and I've spatchcocked probably 40 birds. Always to rave reviews. It is a killer good way to make chicken.

Doug
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Did you do it on a raised grid or regular? I have done many beer can chickens....but believe it or not, I have never done a Spatchcock. I was actually gonna do one tonight, even called the wifey and told her to stop and get two whole birds on her way home from shopping.....then I started reading and saw where most use the grill extender, which I don't have. I didn't even have any bricks here to use to make my own raised grid.....so I will be doing mine tomorrow night. Can't wait!
  • SmokinSoCal
    Options
    I used the 3 five inch bolts to raise the grill. Check out NakedWhiz.com for more info on that. Worked like a charm! It cost me $1.80 from Lowes
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    I do on average one a week. Sometimes more. It is my families favorite way for chicken. I do mine raised direct at about 350. First 20 - 30 mins is skin down. Normally use Dizzy and Pineapple head.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Like SmokinSoCal said. I don't know what size EGG you have but if you have a Large, get another grill, a bit smaller than the one that came with your EGG. Also get (4) 3/8-16x4 or 4 1/2 carriage bolts, (8) 3/8-16 Hex nuts and (8) 3/8 uss flat washers. You will be making 4 legs for the new grill extender that will go on top to the BGE grate. If it is possible, get stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers.

Good luck.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Here is a 16 inch charcoal grate for a weber from Lowe's and some carriage bolts.

000_1186.jpg

I also do it this way.

000_1244.jpg

000_1242.jpg

000_1243.jpg

Here would be a raised direct if you placed another grid on there.

000_1241.jpg

Here is raised indirect or 2 layers. Now granted this setup is a little flimsy but it ain't going anywhere when there is food on there.

000_1246.jpg

You can use your third hand to move things around.

000_1187.jpg

If your careful you can move your grate with food on it.

000_0909.jpg
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    Amen brother. Love the Spatch-C Chix.