Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steak temps

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Weber remotes list 135 as "rare" and then go up the scale from there. Most of the temps listed are probably on the conservative side. However, this seems extremely high.

Using the TRex method I pull my steaks at between 123 and 125 (verified with Thermapen). I would have described what I am eating/serving as Medium rare. However, is that truly rare? Is it even rarer than rare as my Weber guide would have me believe?

This makes no difference other than if I am eating out and order steak should I now say "rare" rather than "medium/rare"? (Since my Egg I almost never order steak at a restaurant because I know I can do better.) Also, if I have guests over and someone says "medium/rare" what temp should I pull?

I guess what I am asking is does someone have a chart for steak temps that society acknowledges as descriptive?

Freddie
League City,TX

Comments

• sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options
    I agree with your assessment of published temps as they relate to actual doneness. I have consistantly achieved better results pulling meat before reaching the listed temperature (for example, 145 for medium-rare) because the meat continues to cook after you pull it.

I couldn't figure this out at first because you have removed the meat from the heat source. I have now come to understand that, though removed from the heat, the meat still continues to achieve a greater degree of doneness because of the stored heat energy in the meat itself.

In my experience steaks achieve about one/half level of additional level doneness after being pulled. To get a final medium, for instance, I tend pull it at the temp listed for medium-rare.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • skihorn
    Options
    Sharham: Thanks. That chart seems more realistic.

Freddie
  • skihorn
    Options
    tiovol: Yes, I am aware that it continues to cook. However, I just assumed it was no more than a few degrees on a small piece of meat like a steak. Perhaps that is a bigger factor than I figured.

Freddie
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    You are absolutely right about pulling the meat before it reachs the final temperature if you plan on letting it "rest" before serving, which is always a good idea.
    When I do prime rib I pull it at 125, loosely cover with foil, let it sit for 30 minutes while baking the Yorkshire Pudding and by the time the pudding is done the meat is up to 133-135, perfect for medium rare.
    Steaks I only let rest for about 10 minutes so I usually pull them at about 130 for mediium rare but don't cover them with anything.
    I getting hungry for a nice steak, but it's game hens tonight. Bummer.