Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Strip loin cook was absolutely terrific

hogaholichogaholic Posts: 225
edited 12:51PM in EggHead Forum
Been eggin' for about 2 years now and lovin' it. In that time I've cooked many things - steaks, spatchcock chicken, wild turkey, ribs, burgers, butts, briskets, pizza, etc, etc. For the most part it all has turned out great. Most of my ideas came from this forum and for that I am very greatful.

The strip loin I cooked yesterday for family and friends was, I believe, the best beef I have ever tasted. All in attendance were also in agreement that this was a fantastic piece of meat. I like leaner cuts of meat anyway and NY strip is one of my favorites. The finished meat reminded me of really good prime rib, with the bonus that one could easliy trim the fat off.

I have some pics below - unfortunately not enough of the finished product because I was so busy preparing the sides. The pic of the cooked meat was made this morning and it is cold from being in the fridge and doesn't look as delicious as it was last night.

I drew the idea for the cook from several different recipes I found here on the forum. I kept it pretty simple really

- 11.5 pound strip loin from Sam's (vacuum packed, $4.49 a pound). I didn't need to cook it all so I cut these 5 thick NY Strip steaks off and froze them to use later. At $4.49 per pound these steaks represent a real bargain in my opinion.

Elinogrelabstracts037.jpg

- Trimmed the fat a little but still left a lot of fat on the meat. It has a distinctive fat pad on one side like a brisket, though not as thick.

- Marinated for 3 hours: 1.2 cup each of red wine, EVOO, and Allegro's marinade. Would have marinated longer but didn't have time.

- Rubbed very generously with Canadian (aka Montreal) steak seasoning

Elinogrelabstracts038.jpg

- Trex sear on each side for 3 minutes then took the meat off while calming the fire and preparing for the next step

- Indirect cook at 350 for the first hour then dropped the temp down to around 250 for the rest of the cook, platesetter legs up, drip pan with red wine and water. Used two probes, one in the middle of the meat and another closer to an end.

- Took it off at an internal temp of 128-134 (cook time approximately 1.75 - 2 hours) and brought it in to rest under a foil tent for probably 30 minutes. The ends were roughly medium and the center was medium rare.

- sliced and served like a nice piece of prime rib, or in this case, prime strip!

Elinogrelabstracts042.jpg
Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)

Comments

• MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    that looks great! even the cold looks tasty :0
  • Totally agree, even the cold meat looks great. Would probably make the best roast beef sandwich ever.