Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Silly Question??? Baked potatoes

Orio KidOrio Kid Posts: 87
edited 2:30PM in EggHead Forum
How can I tell when a baked potato is done, sithout having to break one apart.


  • CaneyCaney Posts: 36
    Orio Kid,[p]Stick a fork in it.[p]Caney[p]
  • QBabeQBabe Posts: 2,275
    Orio Kid,[p]Press it with your fingertip. Usually if the taters are tender, your finger will leave a small indentation...[p]Tonia

  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 10,227
    Orio Kid,
    A little trick I learned some time back is to nuke the tater in the microwave until it is about half done. Poke it a few times with a fork. Then olive oil it and wrap with foil, throwing in a little kosher salt. Then place on the Egg with whatever I happen to be cooking. So far my timing has been good enough that the potato can come off with the meat. I scrub the potato well because the skin is my favorite part. The potato should be fluffy inside.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

  • BlueSmokeBlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Spring Chicken,[p]I like to horrify my doctor. Scrub the taters and rub 'em good with L*A*R*D*, good ol' lard. Roll in kosher salt, wrap in two layers of heavy duty foil and put 'em right down on the coals. Turn 'em upside down after half an hour and continue to roast another half an hour.[p]Do some extras. They make fantastic home-fries the next day.[p]Ken
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 10,227
    When you said "lard" it stuck a memory-cord. I grew up eat'n lard. In fact my grandparents made their own, and if I remember correctly, they used some of it to make lye soap. They fed me yard eggs, home-smoked bacon and fresh-out-of-the-cow milk, home-churned butter that was never more than a couple of days old and vegatables direct from the garden or from home-canning. All of it came with cornbread and Cat-head biskits, home-made cane syrup and every now and then some home-made icecream. And lots of other stuff that was just fantastic to eat. I was skinny as a rail and tough as nails. Now I eat manufactured, processed, refined, low calorie, low fat, low carb, low sugar, low everything it seems, and I'm fat as a pig and so far out of shape I'll never get back to the so called "healthy state" the government wants me to be. So much for progress.[p]Spring Chicken

  • Spring Chicken,
    you were one lucky turd and all you said brings back memories of my youth as it was about the same in the food dept...

  • Spring Chicken,[p]Great post!
  • BlueSmokeBlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Spring Chicken,[p]Remember the smells? Lye soap makin'? Side meat fryin'? A "scratch" cake in the oven? Eggs and taters and coffee calling you out of bed in the morning? We're lucky, indeed we are...[p]Ken
  • tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    Orio Kid, Here is a trick, not really, but a perfect baker. Figure 1 hour at 400 for a fist size tater. Just wash and put in the oven. No no poken that thing, dont worry it wont be xploding. No poking keeps the steam inside to cook the tater. Heh no microwave'n these things, that ruins them, would you m-wave a rib before grill'n it?
    It plain bac'n taters, that all.

  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 10,227
    And that's only part of the story. Getting up in the morning actually meant getting up well before daylight. Even then, my grandmother already had the wood stove cranked up high and biscuits already on the table along with bacon that had the rind on it, grits just oozing in butter, eggs fried in the bacon grease, home-made syrup, jelly, preserves or whatever else they had. The coffee was hot, black and strong. So hot, some poured it in the saucer to cool off so they could drink it. Table etiquette was limited to taking your hat off at the table.
    But before we could even sit at the table we had to go out on the back porch and hand pump some water in a white enamel wash pan and scrub our face and hands. Didn't make no nevermind that it was freezing outside. Only then we could eat. Within half an hour we were either hooking up the plow to the horse or saddling the horses to go check on our cattle which roamed freely on the open range (A virgin hardwood forest covering an area about 15 miles by 5 miles). We could find them by listening for the bell-cow but sometimes it might take all day or maybe two. (That's where the extra biscuits in our pockets came in handy.) Everybody's bell sounded different so all we had to do was go toward our bell sound. Just like magic most if not all of our cows would be herded near our bell cow.[p]Oh, I forgot to mention the outhouse, but that's another story for another day.[p]Yes, we ate good, but we had to. It took a lot of food for the amount of physical work we did. [p]On slow nights we would roast some peanuts (grew those too) and eat them in front of the fireplace until it got late (about dark-thirty). Tomorrow it all started over again.[p]Spring (been there, done that) Chicken

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.