Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEED HELP! 2 Beer Chickens & Cedar Planked Salmo

Options
SmokinSoCal
SmokinSoCal Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a LGE and will be doing the 2 chickens indirect for 1.25 hours. 375 Temp

Can I put the plank on approx 20mins till the chicken is done or does it need DIRECT heat?

Thanks

Maple and butter glaze on the Salmon

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    I would cook the salmon direct while the chickens rest before carving. Pull chicken at internal temp of 165* breast...don't cook to time. ;) (thighs should be about 180*)
  • SmokinSoCal
    Options
    Sorry, I meant cook till 160-165 but how do I remove my plate setter at those temps?
  • cdnewman
    Options
    I prefer to plank fish at a higher temp, so an option would be to butterfly your chix, go indirect at 425 to 160/180, put salmon on when chix at 130 or so and try to get the plank edge over one of the direct "windows" of the place setter to char the plank.
    Otherwise, go w/ LC, put on leather gloves and yank out yet place sitter when chix done.
  • Conundrum
    Options
    Very Carefully. I'm still nursing a burn I got on my index finger Christmas day removing my plate setter from a 550 degree egg while wearing welding gloves!! I'd put heavy duty leather gloves on, pick up something you don't mind getting charred (like an old oven mit) in each hand and then take out the plate setter. Even then I'd know exactly where I was going to put it down before I picked it up.

I agree with LC's plan. I think you need some direct action to get the planks working right.

Good Luck.
    Reed
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    If you have a pair of welding gloves place a couple bricks where you plan to set the hot plate-setter and don't knock it over because it will be very hot.

I'm not sure you will have enough room doing two birds spatchcock **** and the plank.

You could spatchcock the two birds and cook direct then when the birds are done plank you fish.

Be Careful with drinking and moving very hot objects!