Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green eggs and Ham

Options
Mully
Mully Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been summened to cook /smoke a ham for Easter this year after the thanksgiving bird was such a big hit with the family.
I have never done a ham what do I buy and how should I cook her.
please add your favorite recipe!!
Thanks
Mully

Comments

• Mully,[p]I just did one and my teenage son spent lunch period thenext day talking to his friends about it - so I'm thinking that means he liked it.[p]I got a cured ham (not a fresh ham, not a 'cooked' ham, not a ham in a can) and cooked it direct at 300º until it reached 150º internal temp (two hours for five pounds - I'm guessing). (It would have been fine if I cooked it to 140º internal.)[p]I put the ham in a ziplock bag full of coca cola (classic) for a few hours before I cooked it. (next time I'll leave it in the bag over night and a friend of mine swears by Sprite rather than coke.)[p]I put the ham in a roast rack - wide-side down and basted it with coca cola ever half hour. I threw on some pecan wood for flavor, but I think maple would have been better.[p]You should probably have a neighbor kid stand guard it while it's cooking because the smells will drive man and beast wild. [p]That's it. That simple.[p]CB
  • Mully
    Mully Posts: 30
    Options
    char buddy
    Im sure you will get a handle on your New Handle!! :)
    Thats sounds like a good recipe you got there!
    I will give it a try. Was it bone in and what did she weigh...for how long aprox..
    Thanks
    Mully

• Mully,[p]Bone-in and I think the weight was five pounds, but i can't be sure. I got it direct from the producer so it had no label. It took 2 maybe 2 1/2 hours to reach 150º. [p]If you have an instant read thermomeer just take the ham's temp after a couple of hours and go by that, rather than time. [p]CB
  • Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    char buddy (for now),[p]You said you did it Direct, I guess you didn't use a drip pan, Right???[p] Thanks
    Dave

• Dave,[p]that's right. But I use a Guru. If I didn't have a guru I might go indirect and put coca cola in the drip pan.[p]