Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs

Options
WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My neighbor bought a quarter of a cow and opted for the ribs, they asked me about cooking them for them so I read several posts here about cooking up some beef ribs.

Turns out they were in 2 bone sections so I lathered them up with some mustard and worchester. Layed on some Cow Lick and set them up to cook indirect at 250 with hickory working its magic. The Egg chugged away for about 4.5 hours and they rested for another 2.

About an inch of each bone was exposed, so I got some pull back, the meat gave when I pushed a fork between the bones.

Overall they weren't my favorite cook. They were really really fatty. What meat there was was tasty, but I'm not sure it was worth the time. Was it bad luck or should I have let them go longer?

The pic is a poor camera phone pic...sorry.
IMG00379.jpg

Comments

• Lanier Jim
    Options
    Dang - if that is a bad pic of the beef ribs - don't show me a good one. I'm drooling now!
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Sorry your cook wasn't great,

I usually Cook them at indirect at 250 degrees for 3.5 hours uncovered. Wrap in foil and then cook 1.5 hours more. If they were that fatty you might have gotten unlucky... with the ones you got. When I go to the local independant grocer I talk to the butcher and he tells me if he has got some good ones. Otherwise, if they aren't good he doesn't even put them out to sell.
    His reputation depends on it.
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words. They did look good. I think...if I do them again I'll foil them to tone down the bark a bit. The meat was great, there just wasn't al lot of it.
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    Next time I'll pay more attention instead of going with the luck of the draw. Thanks for your advice...I won't give up on 'em based on your experience.
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    Hey here is a link worth checking out...

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/beefrib1.html

I hope no one throws rocks at me my Dad owned a WSM before becoming an egghead. I just thought about this link a minute ago.

For the record My Brother, Sister, Dad, and me all are eggheads now. If you visit our homes all you will find exclusively outside are BGE's
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Still got my WSM,Ranch Kettle and 22.5 inch Weber!You can have them when you pry them from my COLD,DEAD fingers!!!I EGG 99.9 percent of the time.But I ain't givin em up!!! :ohmy: :P B)
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I usually go longer - at least 5 hours, and occasionally up to 7, and I've never had them come out particularly fatty. I haven't paid much attention to the cut, but I always get them from the same place, and they're always good.

Try again. It's worth it if you get them right. My wife has developed an aversion to pork (horror) while pregnant, so I've been doing beef ribs a lot.

-John
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    I understand what you are saying :)

I just felt a little odd posting a link to the Weber forum thats all :lol:

Wouldn't want to be mistaked as a TROLL :P

In fact I wonder somethimes I wonder what I could accomplish now that I have a Thermapen and a remote thermometer. I still have great memories of cooking on the W*B*R WSM with Dad. I remember a few Thanksgivings and Christmas's it was Windy and cold here in Alabama and how my Mom just wanted to buy a pre-cooked ham. LOL
  • Hoss
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm sure I sometimes ruffle feathers here but mean no harm.I grew up with em,learned to cook real food on em and still love em!I love the EGG!!!,but I still wanna know how to cook over charcoal even if an egg is not available.Hell,Arnold Palmer and a couple of them other guys can shoot par golf with any club you give em!!! B)
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    I want to dig a pit in my backyard and cook a whole hog from Dr. BBQ's Big Time Cookbook and have a few friends over. Problem is my wife would probably have me locked away somewhere seeing that we live in city limits and a planned Neigborhood and HOA fees :P

I have been to Maui twice and enjoyed the Luau's. And there wasn't an egg around either.
  • Hoss
    Options
    GO for IT!!!You can keep em in court til they give up!Or invite em to the pig pickin,they'll give in!Either way...YOU WIN!Most neighbors ain't so eager to go spendin cash on trivial bullsh*t nowadays.SCROO-EM! ;)
  • Hoss
    Options
    I understand your predicament,a favor to a friend.Next time buy some babybacks or spares.Beef ain't REALLY BBQ anyway! :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Hoss you ruffle feathers :ohmy: :blink: :evil:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WokOnMedium
    Options
    You're the man Hoss!
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Looks great to me