Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Babyback Rib Cook...I need some advice folks.

Options
Kitarkus
Kitarkus Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking BB ribs for 8 adults and 2 kids tomorrow. I will cook on my large BGE..then transport the ribs 45 min drive for dinner. I typically cook 2 slabs at a time and I am accustomed to CarWashMike's method.

1) How long should I allow myself to get these ribs done before my departure? Timing?
2) How should the ribs be arranged on the rack/grid?
3) How many slabs do I need (3 women, 5 men, 2 kids)
4) Should I finish cooking ribs, foil, cooler, transport....then reheat with sauce on my father-in-laws gasser after the drive?

Any and all advice appreciated. I'm feelingi some pressure to arrive with quality ribs. Your help will reduce my anxiety!

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I think 4 slabs would be enough. When I cook 6 at eggfests, I cut off 3 ribs from the fatty end then go vertical in an inverted V-Rack.
    You can get them done a hour or so before. I go ahead and sauce, slice them up. Place in an aluminm pan with 8 oz apple juice. Cover with foil and re-heat in the oven at 250.
    HTH

Mike
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    Kit, I followed CW Mike's reheat trick with apple juice and the ribs were eggsellent. I did brush with a little extra sauce to spice'm up before serving.
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Options
    Mike...thanks from a fellow KC guy. I have a couple more questions for you.

1)what do you do with the 3 ribs per slab that you remove?
    2)do you completely cook and sauce the ribs prior to removal and put in the tin pan for reheating?
    3)Do you slice them into individual ribs for the pan...or leave in 2-3 rib chunks?
    4)How long should I allow to cook these given that I have a load of ribs...will not be foiling them (they'll be in a V rack so I don't think I can foil?

Thanks thanks thanks
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Lay them on top of the other ones, they will cook quicker.
    Yes I do.
    That is just a personal preference.
    Give yourself 6 hours, but should take less. When in a V-Rack you will need to flip and rotate after 3 hours.
    Need any more pesonalizied help.
    Shoot me a e-mail for the rib hotline number.

Mike