Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Express Pulled Pork - Updated

Options
bitslammer
bitslammer Posts: 818
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Inspired by Clay Q's pulled pork tenderloin I decided to pick these up when I saw them on sale at the grocery this AM.

Hit them with mustard and rub and injected them with apple juice/Dijon mixture.

I plan on doing something along the 3-1-1 method. They're on smoking now. Going raised indirect. After they hit 140*F or 2 hours (whichever is first) I'm going to braise them in a beer/apple juice/apple cider mix. When they hit 180*F I'll pull them out and drop them down for a quick grill to get some more taste.

I like this idea for the quick & easy cook plus a bit leaner dish. Wish me luck.

DSC_1601.JPG

Dusted and slathered and ready to go.
DSC_1603.JPG

Comments

• Bonehead
    Bonehead Posts: 113
    Options
    Looks good :woohoo:
    Can't wait to see the finished product
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome. I really like your idea.
  • schley
    schley Posts: 35
    Options
    Yeah, we do something like that on a friends boat when we don't have all day. Little different flavor but very good.

We tend to cook at little higher temp to get a good bark them foil with apple juice.

After a few cold pops, it taste's great!!

Good luck.
  • bitslammer
    Options
    OK so here's the finish.

Here they are at about 160*F. Decided to take that tp 160 before the braise.
    DSC_1605.JPG

Pulled at 190*F. Since they were not nearlly as big as a butt and had no bone I wanted to make sure they got to 190*F to make them pull more easily. There were not at all dry and were oozing juice the minute I grabbed them with the tongs.
    DSC_1606.JPG

After the pull. They were very tender and pulled well. Unlike a butt they didn't have as much connective tissue and didn't allow pulling long "strings" of meat. As expected a slightly different texture to work with.
    DSC_1607.JPG

Finally after a little home made tangy BBQ sauce.As you can see there was plenty of pink from the smoke and even some nice bark.
    DSC_1611.JPG

And the taste? Fantastic! I'll be doing this again! It's just too nice to be able to do pulled pork in under 6 hours. I also love the texture with this and the lack of grease.