Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer butt chicken....direct or indirect?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a recipe for beer but chicken to cook at 250 until done? any other recipes? and what temp should the chicken be when I pull it off? also should it be cooked direct or indirect?[p]Thanks in advance....!

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    River Liver, at 250 you may as well cook direct but I normally like to cook my beer-butt chicken indirect in a pan. I pull mine when the breast temp is about 160-165. It will normally rise another 5 degrees or so after it is removed. My wife prefers it when I let it go to 165-170 but I think sometimes it gets a little dry.

• Big-R
    Big-R Posts: 36
    River Liver, partly depends on how big the chix is. I do my BB Chicken about 1.25 to 1.5 hours direct at 325 - 350. I want the beer to steam real well. I also use some hefty chix, about 5lb each. No chunks as chix can really soak up the smoke.[p]Doing 3 tonight for some ACC tourney fixin's[p]Randy

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    325-350° direct[p]Jim
  • River Liver,
    Don't mean to start a debate. I too used to be a "chicken can guy" but after I started lurking on the forum I discovered Spatchcocking. I highly recommend it. Much easier and tasty too. You should find the recipe in the archives. Try it too.